Bootcamp disappeared under devices in Finder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Jun 20, 2014.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Could this be a sign that the SSD is failing? I quickly backed up all important documents already just to be sure.

Bootcamp is now being recognised again after a reboot.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it happens again, I'd start getting worried, it might have just been that the startup disk preference pane "burped" or something.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try running Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5781

If it is a pre-June 2013 model you must use Apple Hardware Test.

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

How was Windows shut down the last time you used it? Did it happen to crash?

If an NTFS partition is for some reason not unmounted properly, it gets flagged as unmountable until a file system check is performed. Flagged filesystems get checked automatically when Windows is started, and the flags are removed.

It could be, that if the partition was flagged for a check, Finder could not mount it, or even show it in the sidebar.

The flag can also be removed by forcing the mount, but it's a better idea to actually let Windows run the file system check, so if there are errors in the file system they get reported and corrected.

It's a good idea to back everything up anyway, but I would not worry too much, unless you start getting frequent errors.