Bootcamp Disaster - Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fivepoint, Jan 22, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I've got a 2.4GHZ white non-aluminum Macbook. I was attempting to install Windows XP through the Bootcamp assistant but ran into some major problems. When XP asked me to format the 150GB partition (even though I only created a 10GB Windows partition in Boot Camp), I clicked yes. (just wasn't paying attention I guess) and now I have a non-bootable, 150GB NTFS drive in my macbook. Attempting to boot just gives me a great picture of a folder with a blinking question mark.

I booted off the DVD to wipe and reload, but Disk Utility won't let me erase or repartition the disk. It sees the disk but everything is greyed out.

Please help! :confused:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should be able to choose the disk itself in Disk Utility, not the partition.

Attached Files:

3. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Tried that. It is still giving me grayed out options... won't let me choose a volume format or click erase... no options to click at all. :(

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

repair the disk, then try and reinstall. If that doesn't work boot into single user mode and repair the disk from there.

5. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Maybe I am misunderstanding you... but are you suggesting that I click on 'first aid' and then on 'repair disk permissions'? That's a no go as well... grayed out.

Here is a shot I took from my iPhone to show you guys what the 'partition' tab looks like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

To partition it, you need to choose the partition, not the disk.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

He doesn't want to partition it. He wants to fix it.

Best I can do to help

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, I know that. But, should he erase and partition as HFS+, then the OS X installer shouldn't have any problems.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

oh right. Yeah, OP that's what you need to do. Just erase it.

10. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

TuffLuff is right. I can't partition it... as you can see everything is grayed out. I need to completely erase the drive and start over with a Apple Journaled start.

Tuff, I tried that link. I did the fsck thing... but could only get it to work if I had the OSX disk installed. Then, it would run, but would only check the disc itself for errrors... wouldn't even touch the HD.

Looking for more options.

:(

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Going out on a limb here:

Boot from the XP CD, then format the drive as FAT32. Quit the installer before installing XP and then boot from the OS X DVD. It might just work.

12. renoir macrumors newbie

windows XP killed my harddrive

I know how you feel, the exact same thing happened to me.

The problem is the first sector of the harddrive is now formatted NTFS, and this is incompatible with your firmware. Windows now owns your system, and the only way to get it back is to format the drive.

I had to format the drive from an external disk, since the drive is NTFS, disk utility will not recognize it.

I took my computer to an apple store and they fixed this in 5 min.