BootCamp Disk Journaling: please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keysofanxiety, Aug 1, 2013.

1. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Hello everybody,

I'll be as brief as I can. I'm trying to BootCamp an external HDD as I don't have hard-drive space on my SSD. I've currently got OS X installed on the external hard-drive which wasn't a problem.

Whenever I boot into the external HDD to try to BootCamp it, it comes up with "The disk is not journaled". I've set my external hard-drive as the startup disk. I've also unmounted the SSD Macintosh HD. The external hard-drive is set as being OS X Extended (Journaled).

I've tried enabling journaling through Disk Utility without luck. I've also tried booting into the recovery partition, and the 'enable journaling' option is still greyed out. (I've tried booting into both the recovery partition on the external HDD, and the internal recovery partition on the SSD to do this.)

I'm just about ready to give up on this so I'd really appreciate any assistance anybody can provide.

Attached some screenshots for your convenience.

View attachment 426064
    View attachment 426065
    View attachment 426066

2. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Also, in Terminal it shows the disk as having Journaling enabled. I'm completely lost. Please see:

Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 22.54.36.png

3. keysofanxiety, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Managed to fix

Hi,

Not sure if anybody's still lurking, but here goes. Long story short, there isn't an easy way to do it.

So I swapped over the hard-drives (internal SSD with external HDD), and then ran BootCamp on the HDD when it was in the Mac. Once that was done, I swapped them back over again, and now I can run Win 7 from an external drive. Well, so I thought. It just blue-screens with error 7B.

What a PITA. What I was going to do was sink some cash into a 128GB SD Card and BootCamp that (better performance than external USB HDD) but since I can't even get this working I doubt there's anything else I can do.

Screw it, I'll just sink some cash into a TB SSD and BootCamp that. :(