Bootcamp disk usage?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xander7, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Xander7 macrumors newbie

I just installed Windows 7 Boot Camp on my MBP, and everything seems to be in working order with drivers and etc., but it seems that waaaaay too much space is being used. I figured that 22GB of space would be enough for the partition, because I heard that Windows 7 takes up about 5GB. Well, as it is right now, I have 4.6GB free of my 22.7GB. What happened? I can't install much (StarCraft II) like this. I've heard that they recommend at least 16GB for an installation of Windows 7, but according to this, it takes up around 18GB. And yes, I checked the disk usage before I installed any drivers.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Windows 7 takes about 5 gb, and the hibernation file and system restore file can take another 4-8 gb depending on how much ram you use. Decreased your system restore to 1 GB. The mac drivers take about 2 gb, not much you can do about that. Also in a couple days run disk cleanup, it should give you another 2 gb back (you can't run it today because it won't clear temporary items that are less than 2 days old).

I installed windows 7 recently and with the mac drivers it took about 9 GB. Then I installed about 3 gb of windows software, 5 gb of outlook emails, and 4 gb to install windows xp mode. From my 30 gb partition, only about 8 gb is left now.

3. Tarek macrumors 6502

Who told you Windows 7 takes 5GB? It really depends on which version of Windows 7 you are running, but Ultimate uses around 15GB of space.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Nobody told me that. That's how much space it took when I installed windows 7 pro. I simply checked the disk usage in windows explorer. Then after installing the mac drivers, the install took about 7.6 GB. The ultimate version doesn't take much more space. Maybe you installed the 64 bit version with 8 GB ram and all the options...

5. Tarek macrumors 6502

Ahh! that's why. Yeah, I only install 64-bit versions of whichever Windows I am going to use. It's much better, in my opinion.