bootcamp displays black screen after reboot (win 7 sp1)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dskmac, May 16, 2011.

1. dskmac macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

Just the other day I finally made the switch and got the new iMac 27inch i5 (2011). Such a beautiful machine! :D

Still setting things up, but experiencing a strange issue with bootcamp and win 7 sp1.

When I do a restart in win 7, my iMac shows the normal windows 7 shutdown screen, but then goes black. The only way to get it back on is to power down the iMac then on again.

I tried booting back into OS X and all is fine there. I also tried running the repair utility for bootcamp, but no go.

Does anyone know if win 7 sp1 causes issues with bootcamp? I feel this might be related to SP1. Hopefully someone has experienced this issue before.

Thank you in advance.

2. pawtracks, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. dskmac, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

dskmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

I did check out that article earlier, but the symptoms seems a bit different than what i'm experiencing.

I was able to install win 7 with no issues. And was able to reboot into win 7 several times. Everything seem fine until I installed SP1 it seems.

Dumb question, the article mentions the workaround is for 2009 - 2010 versions, so this fix would relate to the new 2011 iMacs?

4. pawtracks macrumors regular

Not sure for the 2011 iMac's, I have a 2009 (where I experienced the black screen issue) and a 27" 2011 on order (with an SSD) so I won't know for another month or so... It usually takes a few weeks to get enough of the new models out in the wild before all the issues like bootcamp drivers and such get resolved.

I would keep an eye here for answers if you are still having problems.
    Boot Camp support

I assume you are running the latest bootcamp version which is really just updated drivers for the most part? (3.2)

5. Mashuri macrumors member

Are you using a legit copy or bypassing activation with something like RemoveWAT?

FYI, SP1 is running great on my Bootcamp partition.

6. tsugaru macrumors 6502

That's only for install.

To the OP,

Win 7 SP1 works fine on both my iMacs and MacBook Pros. After a lengthy Windows update, the black screen thing happened like you mentioned, but after a few minutes, the machine shut down properly, and after boot, everything was fine. You might have just been too hasty.

Once you reboot your machine and before Windows boots up, try to jam on the F8 key on your keyboard (may need a wired USB one for this.) This will trigger Windows to ask you how you'd like to boot. Select safe mode or Last Known Good Configuration. See if you can shutdown properly without having to hold power down from safe mode.

If you can, your best bet is to see if it was a driver issue.

7. dskmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I figured out the issue, tsugaru, you were spot on.
    I was having a driver issue with my Firewire Audiophile audio device. For some reason, if I have the iMac set to use windows as it's startup disk, and leave the audio device powered on when doing a restart, the iMac would hang. If I turn off the device and then do the restart, everything works fine. Seems to be an issue with the bootloader file for the device

This device works fine in OS X. but it appears M-Audio doesn't fully support bootcamp. Small price to pay having to turn off the device when I need to restart, no biggie. Other than that, I love my new iMac.

Thanks for all the tips.:apple: