Bootcamp doesn't like my external DAC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hova, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hova, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

hova macrumors member

I have a USB Hub hooked up to my Macbook. Every time i tried booting into Windows 7 via Bootcamp it would freeze when i had my USB hub plugged in. Eventually through trial and error i figured out that the problem is with my external DAC that i have plugged into the USB hub.
    Is there maybe something i can do without having to constantly unplug the DAC when i want to switch to windows?
    In the meantime i will try to disable audio stuff in windows to see if it work.
    EDIT: That didn't work either. I think there is something with bootcamp where it might get confused with the external DAC or something

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

It's likely a combination of Boot Camp and hardware conflict with certain chipsets used in the hardware component. You didn't mention the model year of your Mac, but 2009-12 Mac Pros are known to have install/boot issues under Boot Camp with certain hardware components using Marvell chipsets in place. I suspect Apple was aware of these issues and may have probably fixed them for newer designs, but never bothered with older models. Here's another example of hardware conflict in a Mac mini, YMMV.

3. hova thread starter macrumors member

I have a 13" Retina Macbook Pro released last month

4. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately there is no simple solution other than identifying the offending hardware component and disconnecting it while installing/booting under Boot Camp. Looks like I may be wrong about Apple fixing the hardware conflict issues.