Bootcamp drive corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BileGhost, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BileGhost macrumors member

For quite a while, my Windows (7, x64) partition would always run a chkdsk when booting, I could never cancel it, and it never found any errors. I googled it and some dude told some other dude just to stop it running with some cmd magic. I did this, now some months later, not only is my hard drive corrupt, but so is my chkdsk program. It appears I can open any file stored on my desktop, but few others (some random ones work). I can't open the drive in windows explorer at all.

The odd thing is that all the files on my desktop open fine, but I can't copy and paste them. If I open them, then resave them, then I can move them.

I've saved the important ones, but I really would like to save the drive. I'd also like to access my Steam games, and be able to copy them to a portable disk so I don't have to download them again. Internet isn't too cheap here, and it would cost hundreds of dollars in bandwidth to download all my games again.

If anyone knows how I could save my files, or even my hard drive, I'd love to hear from you. Guesses are good at this point too ;). If it helps, my guess is that setting Snow Leopard to be able to write to BOOTCAMP may have caused the corruption, though this is just speculation.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Were you using the hack to the Apple driver or a third party tool like NTFS-3G or Paragon?

The Steam folder is portable, so you should just be able to copy that on a file-by-file basis over to an outboard drive like a USB HDD or the like. Basically, I'd copy the entire contents of the partition from OS X file-by-file and blow away the current partition using Boot Camp Assistant.

Then I'd remove/undo the NTFS write enabler you suspect.

B

3. BileGhost, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

BileGhost thread starter macrumors member

I used the apple driver hack.

If I could actually get to the Steam folder, I'd still have the issue that I can't actually copy files. When I try to open the C drive in Windows Explorer, it throws an error saying the drive is corrupted. It says the same thing if I try to copy or move any files. I can open them fine though (at least, the ones I can get to). If I try from OS X, it just shows a blank drive, no files or folders or anything.

Thanks for replying, hopefully you have some more ideas :D

Edit: OK, I have fixed it! At least for the moment. I found a Windows disk, and ran chkdsk via the repair tool command line. It fixed the corrupted partition table. All appears to be running fine again. I'll definitely disable the apple NTFS writing driver and hope that I don't get corruption issues again.

Thanks heaps balamw!

4. BileGhost thread starter macrumors member

Just an update, I disabled the Apple bootcamp R/W driver, and installed the NTFS-3G one. No problems since. I'm certain that it was the problem.

5. lrdiaz macrumors member

How does one disable the Apple driver?
    I have a similar issue, every couple of days I have to run CHKDSK to repair the bootcamp partition.
    MacMini, OSX snow leopard latest version, and Win 7 Ultimate.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Reverse this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785376 if you did it. If you didn't that's not the issue.

B

7. lrdiaz macrumors member

No, I did not follow instructions on that thread.
    Thanks for the reply.