Bootcamp drive not mounting in OS X SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LERsince1991, Apr 18, 2010.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I've recently had to reinstall my bootcamp partition and this time the Bootcamp drive is not mounting in OS X SL.

Anyone have any suggestions to this please?

Luke

Attached Files:

2. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I'm having sort of the same problem as you, I can never get bootcamp to work on the 3 machines and 6+ HDDs that I've owned.

5. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

thing is It worked all fine then I swapped my hd over to a 500GB and now when i install bootcamp it doesnt mount in os x :eek:

6. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Did you install windows yet or just partitioned it with Boot Camp assistant?

8. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

installed and set up windows more than once, didn't work any of those times :/

I used bootcamp all the time to set it up then reformatted the partition when installing windows to ntfs

9. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

Would have thought this would happen to more than just me surely?!

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Time to get down and dirty.

Can you remove the Boot Camp partition?

EDIT:

When you say "moved over" what do you mean? Did you copy an existing image onto the the new 500GB or did you install a fresh copy of OS X on the new 500GB drive? If it's not a clean install, try crazzyeddie's suggestion. What happens when you boot off the Windows install disc, does it see the partition? Not having it mount doesn't necessarily mean Windows installer won't see it. Disk Utility sees it but won't mount.

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

This may sound stupid... but can you just click Mount?

If that works, then the Bootcamp assistant must have set that partition not to automount at boot...

12. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for your replies!

When i upgrade to 500gb I swapped the HD's and restored from backup, I did not backup the windows partition and therfore did a fresh install - a few times to try and solve this problem.

It boots into windows and eveything but this not mounting means I can't access what I've done in windows.

When I click mount it tries to mount it but does nothing.

luke.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That restore from your old HDD might be the reason why it's not mounting. There would be no reason why the Boot Camp partition wouldn't mount. If it's critical that you have the Windows partition mount to do any modifications, you might have to do a reinstall.

Try creating a new user and create a boot camp partition to see what happens. If it mounts, then we could try to look at your user account to determine what's wrong but I'm guessing it won't mount in the new user thus indicating that it's a system issue.

14. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

When i restored from my backup I didn't restore bootcamp, it was not backed up, I did a fresh install a few times of bootcamp but still nothing in os x.
    I don't mind removing my bootcamp, it will take a day to set it up again but I would like to ovoid it, especially since Ive tried reinstalling a few times.

Thanks for the replies
    luke

15. jleach1 macrumors newbie

This is a well documented problem. I have yet--after months of research...to find a solution. Just clicking the button does nothing.

This bug makes it impossible to run boot camp in vmware, parallels, or virtual box.