Bootcamp drive not showing up in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Oshin, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Oshin macrumors newbie

After installing Lion, I noticed my bootcamp disk icon wasn't on my desktop, nor does it show up under devices in the finder sidebar. I can still boot into Windows when I restart, but without having any way to access the drive from the OS X side, it's pretty much impossible to transfer files back and forth between the Mac side and the Windows side. Bootcamp shows up in Disk Utility but is greyed out which I assume means it is unmounted, but when I try to mount it it gives an error. I've tried verifying/repairing the disk, but it still won't mount.

Anyone else have this problem/know a solution?

2. utlkalot15 macrumors newbie

I was also curious to see if there'd be any issues with Lion and Boot Camp on Snow Leopard. I haven't jumped on Lion yet. This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but until then you could use dropbox. Or iCloud when it comes out. If you don't already have dropbox, and would like an additional 250MB on top of the starting 2GB, e-mail me and I can send you my referral code. :D

3. mateus macrumors member

mateus

This is worrying. I've seen numerous reports of similar problems on other Mac forums. :( Have you tried posting a message on the Apple's Support Communities forum?

I'm holding off the Lion upgrade until there's definite guidance on how Bootcamp partitions are effected. Like many users, I require Bootcamp for work and really don't want the hassle of reinstalling Windows, re-registering all my applications and restoring my files from backup.

Hopefully someone will reply to this thread with a simple solution.

4. Oshin thread starter macrumors newbie

So after having more time to play around with Boot Camp, I've figured out at least a temporary solution.

I can't seem to find any way to access the partition from the OS X side, but I downloaded the HFS Explorer app on the windows side which allows you to extract files from the Mac partition to the Windows partition. Hopefully a simpler solution will present itself. Otherwise, both my partitions work like they did before the upgrade to Lion and I didn't lose anything on the Windows side.

5. bikerc macrumors newbie

What is the error that you get?

Did you try to run to mount the partition from the command line?

I have SL and Win 7 in bootcamp but I didn't upgrade yet.

Thanks

6. mustafaattarwal macrumors newbie

Bootcamp drive not showing up in Lion

When do you think this solution would arrive, since without it I cannot change to OS Lion.

7. srwatts macrumors newbie

I needed to reinstall NTFS-3G

I had the same issue.

I was using NTFS-3G with SL.

So I removed NTFS-3G and MacFuse. (These are in your System Preferences)

I then downloaded NTFS-3G again and reinstalled.

After install I needed to Restart.

Hey presto - I can now access my BootCamp partition again!!:)

PS: I've always had PC's until 6 months ago. I'm loving my Mac. I had to do a system restore a month ago and couldn't believe how well it went with TimeMachine. The upgrade to Lion was equally impressive! Thanks Apple.