Bootcamp drivers crash windows 7??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hastyle, Nov 4, 2010.

1. hastyle macrumors member

Hey guys, got a MBP i5, installed win7 pro on it, tried to install the bootcamp driver from the provided disk, after the install and restart it would crash during windows bootup, i manage to restore it to get back to windows. There is blue screen that pops up for a second, cant seem to read the code though. So far ive manually install some of the basic drivers like sound and videocard, but would like the bootcamp options in the control panel, what should i do ??

thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I already gave you a suggested path here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11361381&postcount=7

The other thing to keep in mind is that you should try to do the install with as many cables as possible unplugged. Unplug any USB devices you don't absolutely need, the ethernet cable, external drives, printers, scanners, ... Sometimes even having a USB hub connected seems to be able to confuse it during the install. Once it's working install the other devices back one by one.

B

3. hastyle, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

hastyle thread starter macrumors member

That post doesnt seem relevant for me, because A, i dont have 3.0 installed to do the upgrade to 3.1, second how can i modify any files if i cant get back into windows after the install restart ?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can rename the files in a number of ways.

1) NTFS-3G from OS X (I know you don't currently have OS X available to you)
    2) From within a Windows VM while booted to OS X.
    3) From the command line while booted to to W7 install disc (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7)

Also, have you tried booting in safe mode? This should disable the non-standard drivers temporarily and let you in to the system.

B

5. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Hey, no i have not tried safe mode yet, So option 3 seems to be my only option, if safemode doesnt work. But once i get into the command line I have to rename these two files AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to anything else?
    thanks.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could also try generating a boot log and see if you can pin down exactly what is causing the BSOD.

B

7. hastyle, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Safemode also goes to BSOD, load the recovery cd an got into Cmd but both files were not in directory, also tried doing the self repaired, it just sat there and froze, so i rebooted it and hit f8 > last known good config and it got into windows and bootcamp is in the control panel now??!? both applehfs and applemnt is in the directory too!?? boot camp doesnt seem to be working properly though, my right click works now but there is still no keyboard light, FN keyboard doesnt work, brightness cant be adjusted...

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Run Apple Software Update to get the latest versions of the drivers.

B

9. hastyle, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Got it working!! uninstall bootcamp, reboot, reinstalled it and removed the two files before resart, got back into windows everything works perfect now.

thanks!