Bootcamp drivers for Radeon HD 5750 (Mobility 5850)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by twentytwo22, Feb 14, 2011.

1. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

For those of you with the newest refresh and a Radeon HD 5750, which drivers do you use in bootcamp for the graphics card?

I'm using the bootcamp drivers, but wondering if I will see better performance if I install the ATI drivers. If so, would I install the mobility drivers client?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you need to install the mobility drivers. It's definitely worth it

3. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

If your gaming let me suggest 1. mobility drivers 2. MSI Afterburner 3. MacFan.

I set my fans to 2000, 2000, 1500, and up my speeds in Afterburner from 628/1000 to 700/1050 and see a very noticeable gain in performance, and the imac runs cooler than it would stock speeds/fan.

an example is, Starcraft 2 on all high settings (not ultra) at 2560x1440 res runs at 50-80FPS, very impressive really.

Bad Company 2 I was getting around 45-50 FPS at 1920x1080 max settings.

4. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

(What the Hell?! Am I barred from posting in this thread or something...? I just posted a message, and it isn't here anymore... rrrrrright. Guess I'll type it again)

Thanks for the above info. But could I ask a little about MSI Afterburner?

1). Is it safe to use?

2). Is it detectable at post-mortem?! As in, if your GPU dies, can Apple look at the carcass of the GPU and know that it's been overclocked?

Thanks.

(Here's hoping it posts, this time. I'll copy it to the clipboard, just in case...)

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

What kind of performance gains are you seeing by using mobility over bootcamp?

Thanks

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't have Boot Camp or ATI GPU but in general, newer drivers always deliver at least a minor bump in performance in some games. Boot Camp drivers are ancient as they are drivers that were out when iMacs were released.

7. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Yep. Boot Camp drivers are updated periodically, but they always lag behind the AMD releases.

Officially, AMD do not encourage Boot Campers to download the newer drivers. However, when I was having absolutely hideous problems with some of my Steam games, I threw myself on the mercy of their technical support staff - and they conceded that, basically, the newer drivers should work absolutely fine, and there was no need to wait for Apple to 'get around to' disseminating them.

I've had no graphics performance problems, since.

8. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

1. Yeah, it's safe to use. If your video card overheats it can be in trouble, but pushing up the settings generally will just make it screw your image and you'll have to reset it. Afterburner resets when you restart your computer. As long as you use SMC fan and keep the internals cool you'll be fine.

Honestly, under OSX and bootcamp by default, the iMac gets very hot. Even if your not overclocking I would raise the fan speeds. My iMac runs much much cooler overclocked than if i used default settings and default fan.

2. I doubt they would ever know it was overclocked, what they could tell is if they got your mac running and went into the system and saw you had afterburner installed, but yeah. If your GPU died it's because it overheated.

Still, it voids your warranty, at least i'm positive apple would say it did if they knew.

9. superkrups20056 macrumors member

Hey guys, how does one manage to install the mobility drivers. everytime I try to install the latest non-bootcamp drivers for the Radeon 6750, it is saying that it cannot detect my graphics adapter. Is this because I've already installed the bootcamp drivers from the CD? How do I go about getting the Mobility drivers on my machine?

I am running on the i7 Quad Core Macbook Pro

10. superkrups20056 macrumors member

Also, where do you find your modded drivers? thanks