Bootcamp drivers for Windows 10 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Uplift, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Uplift macrumors 6502

I had Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp which worked fine, I then used the free upgrade to Windows 10. All went smoothly but I'm not getting any sound and can't do things like change the brightness via the F1 and F2 keys.

I tried to download the drivers but it appears they're only for Windows 7? I tried anyway but it hangs when trying to install audio.

I looked at a guide that said run Apple Software Updater, but there isn't anything to update in here.. it just asks me to install iTunes and Quick Time but nothing appears in the update section of the app.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

3. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I have the first Retina Macbook Pro (2012) which looks to be supported.

The link you provided has the following image:
    [​IMG]

Mine says 'Create a Windows 7 or later install disk' rather than Windows 8 and when I click 'Download the latest Windows support software' it provides me with two options to cancel or go to support site.

Maybe I don't have the latest version of the Boot Camp Assistant?

4. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

No you are fine, the app will fetch the latest drivers. I have a 2012 Mac mini and I recently used the app to reinstall my Windows 7 partition after I installed a new hard drive. The app fetched the drivers for Windows 8/10! I ended up having to go to a website that Apple maintains to download the older drivers.

If the drivers that the Bootcamp assistant fetches for you will not install on your Windows 10 build, there is probably something else going on.

5. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

I installed Win10 on my 2012 using bootcamp6 drivers, but using whatever version of bootcamp that is installed with Lion (hey, everything works, I'm not upgrading it).

On the Windows side, everything works except Apple's driver for the Cirrus 4206 sound; it doesn't play nice with EFI1.1 (older macbook pro) - my "solution" is that my MOTU interface drivers DO work. Problem solved when I'm not on the go.

I've read that if you install it using "the BIOS method" things will work; but I just can't bring myself to go through the whole rigamarole again; It's reminding me of all the random PC boxes from the 1990's that I want to forget forever.

6. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

I never did get it working properly using the upgrade method, I ended up re-installing with a Windows 10 ISO.