Bootcamp Drivers Question!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dlb253, Sep 6, 2010.

1. dlb253 macrumors member

Considering buying win 7 so i can bootcamp for 1st time. Before I do though, I want to know if/why it'll work...

I've read that OSX 10.6 has driver issues witn nVidia hardware. Well, why would they be any different on Windows? Does Microsoft write its own drivers for Mac hardware? Or is it nVidia?

I ask this b/c dont you have to install the drivers off the OSX disc? Doesn't make sense why apple would give you better drivers for windows than they do for OSX.

Point is, I'd be doing this for gaming. I just don't see why there'd be any performance improvement with the SAME HARDWARE, just running windows instead.

2. sup3r1or macrumors regular

This is the thing I want to know also. It doesnt make any sense why would apple write their own drivers for Windows for the hardware that they dont make themselves?

Logically since you boot camp you are no longer in OSX but in Windows so why not get official drivers from nvidia page?

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The nVidia driver issue only effects OS X.

Basically, Apple writes their own graphics card drivers for OS X.
    nVidia works with Microsoft to write graphics drivers for Windows.

This means Windows 7 has a better graphic driver than OS X has. When you install Windows, and the bootcamp drivers, you're installing the MS/nVidia drivers on your computer, it has nothing to do with Apple or OS X, and there shouldn't be any issues.

4. dlb253 thread starter macrumors member

Yet somehow the Microsoft/nVidia drivers make it on to the OSX cd? And why do you have to load drivers this way? Seems like there would be updates, so it'd be better to download them.

Why would apple let Microsoft/nVidia put stuff on its discs that it has nothing to do with...especially when they're 1-upping Apple's drivers. Makes apple look bad.

5. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Apple codes not one single driver except maybe the KBDMGR/BOOTCAMP.EXE. And they don't take any responsibilities either, I repeat *no* responsibility for anything Bootcamp.

You usually can download any third-party drivers from their respective manufacturer (3X0M NVidia drivers may need a customized INF file though, or look at www.laptopvideo2go.com)

To say it in the words of a 2nd tier Apple support guy: "Apple only says that you can run Windows on a Mac, not that all our hardware works with it."

I also seriously doubt that Apple codes the OS X graphic-drivers themselves.

6. sup3r1or macrumors regular

so the end point of this?

Should we download and install drivers from nvidia.com when we bootcamp windows 7?

7. dlb253 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, but this doesn't explain why the drivers are on the OSX disc. Why would apple put them on there if people could just download them from hardware mfrs?

Also, how do you know which drivers you need? There's got to be tons of them...video, sound, trackpad, keyboard, peripherals, etc. I'm running the 2010 MBP 13" (nVidia 320M) if that helps.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Doesn't every computer come with a set of drivers for preinstalled hardware? Apple includes them so you can get up and running quickly. You aren't supposed to have to dig around to get Boot Camp working. Additionally, some drivers aren't available anywhere else, like the trackpad and iSight drivers. Also, I don't know how it is for the 320M, but for the 330M GT, you can't just download drivers from Nvidia and install them right away. You have to modify the inf to add support for it.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Because the drivers are free to be downloaded and distributed, and they are doing it as a convenience as a part of the whole bootcamp process. Why does it even matter why they do it, they're trying to make your life easier, why not just take it and leave it?

10. dlb253 thread starter macrumors member

I agree, it doesn't matter. I'm all for simplicity. But I'm just trying to understand why things are the way they are.

So the OSX disc must have 100s of Windows drivers on it then, right? Considering all different macs out there, not to mention XP, Vista, and 7.

It still doesn't make much sense though that Apple would go out of their way to give you drivers that perform better on Windows than they do on OSX.

11. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

1) Every OEM computer manufacturer is supposed to deliver a driver disc with their hardware, and they usually do. Most components in today's Macs are generic, some are still Apple branded, Apple doesn't care about any of them once you ask for Bootcamp support.

2) The Windows drivers coming with the CD are *not* necessarily better than the OS X drivers, actually they are also buggy and Apple knows (and doesn't care much) about it.

3) Noticed how there was a "performance" update published for graphic-drivers lately. If gaming "seriously" comes to OS X then GPU drivers are going to be the biggest problem. It's one thing to make iWork perform, but another to make your latest and greatest game move smoothly.

By the way, that stupid Bootcamp Installation CD installs *all* drivers for *all* Mac hardware ever sold. That means for example that you get a mountain of Intel, Atheros and Marvell network drivers even if your Mac uses a Broadcom interface. :apple:

12. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Can anyone upload Bootcamp drivers for windows 7 64 from Macbook Pro 13" 2010 model? Im still waiting for my replacement disk to arrive. I have retail version that I dled, but there are so many drivers there its insane, how can I have 3 different Ethernet adapters?

Apple clearly doesnt take their products running Win 7 seriously, probably to make sure that it runs like crap and then blame it on MS so people could move to OSX>

13. Tarek macrumors 6502

Didn't your MacBook come with Mac OS X install discs? If so, just insert them while on Windows and install Boot Camp. Then you can update from Boot Camp version 3.0 to 3.1 using this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979

14. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Like I wrote before, the Bootcamp Setup installs *all* drivers for all Mac hardware combinations. So yes, you get three Intel Ethernet drivers even if your Ethernet interface is a NVidia one, and *all* are installed with separate entries in Windows' "Programs & Software" list (which fortunately means you can remove them one by one).

Yes, they do blame *every* Bootcamp issue on Microsoft or third-party driver developers. No they don't take *any* responsibility for their "Apple Bootcamp" product, not even the one and only driver/program that really says "Apple" on it (KBDMGR/BOOTCAMP.EXE).

Let me quote the 2nd tier Apple support guy again: "Apple just advertises that you can *run* Windows on a Mac, not that all our hardware is usable with it." (Answer to the question why you still cannot use the ExpressCard slot of 2008/09 Unibody MBP with Vista/W7).

15. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Can you check another one of my threads there below:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1011879

I need some help, Im waiting for my replacement disk of OSX but atm I used retail 10.6.3 DVD to get drivers, however Graphics; coprocessor and SM bus are not working. Tried probably everything already.

P.S after bootcamping i have weird stuff going in OSX like that spinning wheel when computer is under LOAD. Do you think it is related?

Also I do not know why apple do that, but MAC IS A PC. I saw all the mac inside as well as other Apple gadgets, the only thing that makes apples products theirs, is DESign and Software.
    MBP is all built from hardware from other manufacturers, so OSX is the only thing that makes mac a mac, if you know what I mean lol.

16. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Just curious: I have an iMac, and am considering bootcamp. Do the video drivers you get with bootcamp (or from downloading) allow you to see or use the video driver menu and make screen adjustments?