Bootcamp, Dual Hard Drives - Windows 7 Permission Issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OfTheNaveed, Jul 11, 2011.

1. OfTheNaveed macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I've been using MacRumors as my go-to source for troubleshooting on my mac, and have run into a problem.

I took out my DVD superdrive and installed a secondary hard drive on my brand new macbook pro. I now have a 120GB SSD and a 750GB 7500 rpm secondary HD. Obviously, I am using the SSD for my install of OS X (and Windows 7), and I'm using the secondary drive for storing all of my music/photos/videos for both my Mac and my Windows data.

After installing Windows 7 on my SSD using bootcamp, I am trying to write files to my 750GB secondary HD. I can read from the drive fine, but I cannot write to it. I simply get the error: "Destination Folder Access Denied" and "You need permission to perform this action".

The 750GB secondary drive's file type listed is "HFS".

Basically, I want to be able to use this drive for both my mac and window's data storage. I tried using MacDrive, but my hard drive randomly became corrupted a few weeks after using it and would like to avoid going through that pain again. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm surprised GGJStudios hasn't posted his File System FAQ (e.g. link: http://att.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12140316&postcount=5)

HFS+ is read only under Windows with Mac OS X's drivers.

It would help to know if you spend more time in one OS or the other, and also if you have multiple machines or just the one.

B