BootCamp, easiest solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chiching, Dec 8, 2010.

1. chiching macrumors newbie

Hi people.

I've tried to create a partition trough BootCamp, but it doesn't allow me (giving me the infamous "files can't be moved).

If I understood everything correct, I have to defrag my drive, right? Only problem is that I have to defrag it with the option "Full defrag" in iDefrag, that is out of the question since I don't have the osx Leopard cd. Which brings me to "on-line" mode.

Since on-line mode havn't worked for most of the users who wants to install a partition with BootCamp, I turn myself to you guys.

What is the easiest solution?

I've heard that you can somehow backup everything on the harddrive and reinstall it later? I have no clue how to do that.

I'm also doing an on-line defragmentaion with iDefrag right now to see if that works. Keep in mind that I don't have the Mac OS Leopard cd.

I have 90GB left and I'm on a macbook.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I'm not 100% sure about what you are asking, but you do NOT need Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows. Just open Disk Utility, make a partition at the end of the drive, then boot into the Windows Install disk. just like a person would normally.

3. chiching thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure that I don't need Camp Boot Assistent to install Windows?

I'm using this guide:
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_my_mac_using_boot_camp_1.html

I've tried to create a partition with the Disk Utility, but it gives me an error. The solution is to defrag the drive, but as I said I can't use the "full defrag" in iDefrag(a software) because I don't got the CD for OSX Leopard which iDefrag needs.

So I wonder if there's another way?

4. Damo01, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

Damo01 macrumors regular

What does the error message say, when you tried to create a partition, using Disk Utility?

Have you installed bootcamp before? you might have repair the drive from your leopard installation disk using disk Utility. Otherwise you have to reinstall leopard.