Bootcamp & egpu

iJohnnyG

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Newcastle
Hello,

So I've recently got a Mac mini late 2018, I've also got a Razer Core X and Vega 56. I've installed windows via bootcamp however when trying to connect the egpu I get a code 12 error.

Having looked through the forum and online, seems I'm not alone however despite following instructions from others I still can't get it working.

I've so far tried - fresh install of windows via bootcamp, waited for it to load up (connected via HDMI at this point), plugged in egpu via thunderbolt 3 and waited. Windows prompts me to restart, so I do however after the rest it still shows code 12 error.

I also read about disabling the other ports, which I tried but still didn't solve the problem.

Anyone else experienced this? or can shed some light on how to get it working?

thanks

adamk77

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2008
Hello,

So I've recently got a Mac mini late 2018, I've also got a Razer Core X and Vega 56. I've installed windows via bootcamp however when trying to connect the egpu I get a code 12 error.

Having looked through the forum and online, seems I'm not alone however despite following instructions from others I still can't get it working.

I've so far tried - fresh install of windows via bootcamp, waited for it to load up (connected via HDMI at this point), plugged in egpu via thunderbolt 3 and waited. Windows prompts me to restart, so I do however after the rest it still shows code 12 error.

I also read about disabling the other ports, which I tried but still didn't solve the problem.

Anyone else experienced this? or can shed some light on how to get it working?

thanks
Sorry, I don't currently have an answer for you but I just purchased the Vega 56 and the Sonnet enclosure, so I may be in the same boat as you by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Is eGPU.io one of the forums that you've tried? Here are some links I found there. Would you mind posting back here if one of these works for you? It would save me some time, too.

Bunch of build guides:
https://egpu.io/build-guides/?date?table_filter="2018 mac mini win10"#search

Some specific forum links:
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/mac-mini-2018-egpu-under-bootcamp-error-12/

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2018-mac-mini-with-boot-camp/

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2018-mac-mini-vega-6432gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-14-x-windows-10-bootcamp-vr-vive-vivepro-csofranz/

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/paged/3/

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have been running eGPU asus PRO and Vega 56 bootcamp for several months with out issues. Now on a windows update I did the first of September makes my restart with the egpu inoperable. I have to use the Mac mini hdmi and turn off the egpu to boot up.

I tried several attempts reloading Vega 56 software drivers but can never get a clean restart. I have gone back to prior update via winclone and it works, but it always wants to update. I think it’s a framework update but not positive

Anyone else having issues with the last few windows update using a Mac Mini and egpu?

I have zero issues in Mac OS

Last edited:

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Anyone else having issues with the last few windows update using a Mac Mini and egpu?

I have zero issues in Mac OS
Yeah, mine just crapped out - i hadn’t booted into windows for a few weeks until today. Booted with egpu into windows fine, i let it do a windows update, and its been error code 12 now for the egpu (Vega 56)

Tried DDU and reinstalling the drivers, tried a SMC reset, tried moving thunderbolt ports, tried disabling a bunch of other connections including the one driving my 10GBE, no luck with anything.

NOTE: I have my system setup with no password and team viewer comes up by default, so even though the iGPU gets disabled and the eGPU works, I can connect via teamviwer and see windows is just fine, and muck with the device manager to try different things.

Very frustrating - I may say screw it and just setup a separate windows box.

-dan

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Update - restoring my original win clone image brought the egpu back to working, it again windows update broke it

so I reinstalled bootcamp from scratch again Using the latest windows 10, applied he updates and reinstalled the drivers. Now it’s working again, but that was a pain

I think this is actually the second time windows update broke me and I had to reinstall to get the egpu functional. I’m surprised others aren’t hitting this - is it only a Vega 56 / mini issue?

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Update - restoring my original win clone image brought the egpu back to working, it again windows update broke it

so I reinstalled bootcamp from scratch again Using the latest windows 10, applied he updates and reinstalled the drivers. Now it’s working again, but that was a pain

I think this is actually the second time windows update broke me and I had to reinstall to get the egpu functional. I’m surprised others aren’t hitting this - is it only a Vega 56 / mini issue?

Glad to hear you got a work around. I could go back to the prior winclone until I did any updates. I hate the thought of a clean install start over, that was the point of spending $ on Winclone
I’ve waisted a bunch of time and money trying to game on the mini.
I gave up and trashed bootcamp. I got so discussed. Using parallels with no gaming :(

It might be a Vega 56 thing? I’m using Asus Pro egpu box. Surprised it’s not more people.

Last edited: