Bootcamp error when attempting to install Windows..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Yamcha, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hi guys,

I need some help, my parents iMac 20" Core Duo is having issues. After bootcamp restarts the system I get an error on start up, a folder with a question mark shows up aswell as that prohibition logo..

How can I install Windows 7 on that machine?

Hope someone can help! thanks!

I'm getting these errors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot

Hold down alt while booting. Question mark indicated that the boot volume could not be found. What version of Windows 7 was it? Core Duos are 32-bit so if you tried to install 64-bit Windows 7, that might explain why it ain't booting

3. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for quick reply, I tried Windows Vista 32-Bit through boot camp, but I'm still getting the same error. Works fine on my own iMac.. just not on theirs for some reason..

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

It looks like it is not supported :(

Maybe someone has a workaround for that

5. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Aww thats too bad.. But what about Windows XP? I can't get it installed either, I've made sure its the 32-Bit.. I get the same error

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I can tell you one thing for certain: 32-Bit Vista runs perfectly on that machine. I've used it as my main operating system on a 20" Core Duo (yes, first generation Intel Mac) while I was working at the United Nations. And at that time, Leopard was far from being released and Boot Camp was still in very early beta stages. However, Vista ran flawlessly on that iMac.

Secondly, as a rule of thumb, if Vista runs on a computer, then it is very safe to assume that Windows 7 will also run on the same machine. Why? Firstly, Windows 7 and Windows Vista are 100% drivers compatible. Secondly, Windows 7 requires even less resources than Vista.

Your problem: Apparently, your Mac does not find an operating system. That might be because the awful Boot Camp assistant probably did not properly activate the Windows partition, so the Mac won't boot into it and at the same time it's not smart enough to look for an OS X partition.

You can try and insert the OS X installation DVD and then select a boot volume in its Disk Utility.

You can also try and boot from the Windows DVD and wipe out the entire Mac and make it a Windows only computer.

However, remote diagnosis without having access to your computer is rather difficult and your problem might something completely different.

7. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

I resolved the issue guys, managed to install Windows 7 32-Bit using rEFIt.. I think the reason I was unable to install Windows XP using bootcamp was probably because my parents are using an external dvd drive, the internal one is not working..

Not sure, but anyway if anyone is looking to install Windows 7 on an old Core Duo you could do it by using rEFIt..

Thanks everyone for your responses.. :]

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just for future reference, these are the machines that shipped without Boot Camp support, so you always need to be sure the firmware was updated before trying Boot Camp from Snow Leopard or Leopard.

B