Bootcamp error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nightw4tchman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Nightw4tchman macrumors newbie

(I posted this here as the Mac osx forum said it wouldn't take any posts and this is related as to how to run windows on a mac.)
    I've seen this posted before but not answered in the exact context I wanted.

I'm not a noob to Mac, I've been using them for years.
    However I have tried to install windows on my mac and bootcamp says files can't be moved, I haven't got a problem with reinstalling my mac provided someone can tell me if it's possible using a backup from time machine and the process needed please.

I know it might seem stupid but I've no idea whether it will work and I want to be 99.99999% sure before I do anything as I have important work on my mac which I can't afford to loose.

Thankyou

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are literally tons of threads about this and ways around it. Read them.

This is the big one:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191729&highlight=cannot+be+moved

You may want to try defragging your OS X partition or even just resizing it from the OS X install CD.

As I told someone else earlier today, you can't have enough backups, if you are afraid of losing data, you can get an external 1TB drive for less than $100 and just make a bitwise copy of your data with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to give you another out besides Time Machine

B

3. Nightw4tchman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I've been told about the defragging before but couldn't find much at the time (or atleast one that wasn't a demo). I stopped when I read an article telling me that it was a thing of the past due to the mac being [insert glorifying statement here].

I have a 1TB external hard drive with time machine already ;)

Thankyou for the reply though.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you are really afraid of losing data, you can't have too many backups with different tools. ;) CCC and SuperDuper are really quite nice for making a backup before you take something like this on.

B

5. Nightw4tchman thread starter macrumors newbie

Aye I know but for the moment I just would like to know if there are any defraggers that are free?
    Would using my osx disc to re size my partition help clear space for windows?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are many reasons why some data may not be movable. One is that it belong to a file that is currently in use. If that is the reason, you may be able to resize the partition from the install CD or another OS X install.

B