Bootcamp Excessive space...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mattxi, Apr 7, 2013.

1. mattxi macrumors member

Hello all,

My rMBP running windows 8 seems to be filled with lots of stuff....given I have battlefield 3 and all map packs downloaded which is a considerable amount of space, the other space eater seems to be bootcamp drivers?

When the drivers have been installed and everything is working, are they still needed? Or would I be able to delete them and have them still working?

2. LeeM macrumors 6502a

if you delete the drivers they wont continue working, because they wont be there to work

3. mattxi thread starter macrumors member

got it, i thought they might be driver downloaders or something. i don't know. any common space eaters known to windows 8?

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Windows 8, updated, is at least 40 gigs. BF3 is about 35 according to my calculations.

Do run the Windows disk cleanup tool and make sure and delete old restore points, those can take up a good bit of space. You can also delete update installers safely.

6. mattxi thread starter macrumors member

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The swap/page file and hibernation file will also eat a lot of space. By default, they're set the the amount of RAM you have, so if you have 8 GB, those two items alone occupy 16 GB of space. If you don't use hibernate from within Windows, you can remove that file all together. You can also shrink the pagefile to 1-2 GB and reclaim some space.

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If the OP meant the bootcamp driver installer folder, that can be safely deleted.