Bootcamp.exe process hangs and loads 30% CPU

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lipid, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Lipid macrumors member

I'm running rMBP13 late 2013 on Windows 8.1 and everything seems to be just perfect except of one strange thing. You know when you reboot windows it loads this process Bootcamp.exe on system startup which makes all the keyboard shortcuts (brightness, volume etc.) work. Normally it starts without issues and you can change your volume right after windows logon.

But it's kind of 1 time out of 10 reboots this process just hangs and won't let me use these keyboard shortcuts, nothing happens if I press them. If I look at Task Manager I see that Bootcamp.exe utilizes almost 30% of CPU. I kill that process and go to C:\Program Files\Boot Camp\Bootcamp.exe and start it manually and then it works fine. So every time I reboot Windows it is like lottery - it will start Bootcamp.exe normally or i will kill and start it manually if it hangs..

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem?

2. mcarlie macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.

After I saw this thread I set bootcamp.exe compatability mode to windows 8 and it hasn't spiked yet.

Bootcamp doesn't technically support windows 8.1.

3. Lipid thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thanks for advice! I'll try that!

4. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

Thanks for the tip. I stumbled on this answer as it was driving me nuts!