Bootcamp fail please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TMR240, Jul 28, 2011.

1. TMR240 macrumors newbie

Hey all. So, I installed bootcamp because I had to use some windows programs for work and I wanted to do it from home. Everything went off without a hitch and I'm writing this to you from Windows 7 as we speak: I used the official OSX install disk that came with my laptop to partition the drive, installed windows, and everything went well. However, apparently I'm supposed to have some bootcamp utility that allows me to install drivers, see the partitions and, most importantly, boot into OSX. I'm trapped in Windows 7 (I know, the horror!). I try to put the OSX install disk, but the DVD drive treats it as a blank disk, though it recognizes that a disk is put into it, and will load other DVDs automatically and even play videos from them. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME.

2. NZed, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

When you boot up, press and hold the alt/option button before the chime and you should be able to see two disks, one labelled Macintosh HD and the other Windows.

3. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that worked! by the by, does anyone know how to get the disk to work so I can get the quick OS changer thing?

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want to really fix it, use the Boot Camp assistant to load Windows vs how you did it. This is a utility once you can get into the Mac OS.

5. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but it just gives me the options to install windows or remove the partition in the boot camp assistant.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Right, google for the specific directions, as you are going to reinstall Windows all over again. This is how it should have happened the first time so remove the partition, reboot and run the utility again.

7. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm looking at the official Apple directions, and it doesn't say to do anything differently than I did. Use Bootcamp to partition drive, use bootcamp to install windows, format drive in windows 7 install, install the OS, then when the OS boots, eject the windows install disc and insert the OSX disc. Doesn't say to do anything different, unless you can let me in on something I didn't see.

8. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I followed the instructions to a T and the disk still isn't showing up. Do I have a faulty disc?

9. eron macrumors 6502

The software to install the bootcamp drivers can be found on the Mac install disc, under Bootcamp->setup. You can run that in windows.

Another way to get the software, and drivers, is when you go to bootcamp assistant, it asks you where you want to d/l the software. Choose some external hdd/usb for this.

If you are migrating from an older mac, you might have to uninstall bootcamp services from windows->uninstall, then install the new one. Assuming you backup an image like Winclone, like I did.

10. jenzjen, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

jenzjen macrumors 68000

Your OP read that you used the disk to partition the drive, so did you use disk utility, or did you use the Boot Camp assistant utility?

If all you need are the drivers themselves, just launch Windows (without reinstalling) and insert your 2nd CD and run the setup program. It will launch the driver installer.

Then, when you need to reboot the machine, use Option to boot into the other partition depending upon if you need Mac or Windows.

11. iamBATMAN macrumors newbie

The Mac OSX install DVD will not launch an auto.exe like other discs you have tried, however, it will work in your optical drive. Do the following:

Boot into Windows
    Place OS X Install CD in the SuperDrive
    Go to "Computer" in the Start Menu
    Click on OS X Install Disk
    Hold SHIFT+F10 on the keyboard
    Select Explore
    Bootcamp > Drivers > Setup.exe

Run it, it'll install the drivers for all of the hardware in your Macbook Pro.

12. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

The OSX installer does not show up as that. It's just called a vague 'DVD ROM DRIVE' in my computer. then when I click through to it, it treats it like an empty disc and asks me to put files on it or back up files to it.

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Launch your Mac side and insert the disc to see if the disc comes up. If not, disc problem. If it does come up, I can't think of anything else but to use the BC assistant to remove the partition and then use it again to install Windows.

14. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

it comes up perfectly on OSX side. is there anyway I can rip the setup.exe off of it, or whatever the exe is, on the OSX side and put it on a flash drive?

15. eron macrumors 6502

Let me try to help you a second time.

16. TMR240 thread starter macrumors newbie

but wouldn't that just install the windows partition on a USB? Besides, I've got no flash drive higher than 2 GB and I don't have an external harddrive...

17. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Read the screen, as I think it gives you a choice of using DVD, too.

18. jenzjen macrumors 68000