Bootcamp failed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kooda, May 23, 2012.

1. Kooda, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

Kooda macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just got a brand new Macbook Pro (my first Mac) and attempted to install Bootcamp & Windoze 7.

The after the reboot the install started from the disc, but errored. I then tried another back up (which spanned 2 discs) but couldn't eject the 1st disc to insert the second disc, so that failed too.

All I get is a black screen with

BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Now Now it wont boot off anything. I clearly have 2 bootable Windows discs and an OSX disc, but I get nothing but the above.

I tried using OPT+CMD+O+F to try and access EFI to see if I could force it to boot off something, but EFI wont start.:confused:

The only thing I can think of is that Bootcamp didn't partition the drive properly or I have somehow formatted the Mac partition. But then surely EFI would work?

I'm very confused & would love some input.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kooda, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

Kooda thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realized the BOOTMGR is a Windows thing, so I booted the machine with the options key down hoping to get the option to boot into OSX but the only option is to boot into Windows.

by inserting the Windows disc and booting with OPT I get the option to boot from the install CD and run the Windows install.

But..... where is OSX hiding?

3. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Did you possibly formatted the whole drive when you were in the process of installing Windows?

4. Kooda thread starter macrumors newbie

I did ask it to split the drive 50/50 and after the reboot it only showed one drive to install Windows on. I figured it filtered out the Mac partition as it was the wrong format for windows. So, its looking that way, although i'd word it more like this: Bootcamp failed to partition the drive as instructed.

Anyway, off to get an OSX Disc........

5. Kooda thread starter macrumors newbie

I went down and saw a genius at the Apple Store and it turns out that Bootcamp Assistant had partitioned the drive in 2 halves, but some how managed to delete the contents of the OSX partition so it was only showing the windows parttion when I booted with the option key.

Basically there were 2 blank partitions on the HDD. 1, labeled Windows and formatted NTFS the second blank. Figure that one out:confused::confused:

Anyway, the drive was repartitioned, formatted & Lion reinstalled. I also managed to blag a copy of the latest Lion image on my external HDD.

Back in business.:D