Bootcamp failing, windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PaulKemp, Oct 27, 2012.

1. PaulKemp, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

So been trying to get windows 8 on my iMac. I've edited the contents of the bootcamp package, so that I can use a USB drive for the installation files. I used this guide from mac-forums.com.

Anyhow, the usb drive is not working. I get the wonderful black dos screen displaying "no bootable device". Just as when you boot a new hard drive without any os installed.

After searching around, some say the error is due to a faulty iso or bad memory drive. i've used two different versions of the win 8 iso. And i think ive used the same isos on other machines in the past. So they should work.

Since I dont really have a windows machine, its hard to vertify that the usb stick is bootable and working good. Thats my main issue here realy.

So any tips?

edit: I can not vertify that my USB drive is working, so Ill try to find a blank dvd some where. :( Like a cave-man

2. PaulKemp, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Update, just for future reference.

It may be that the process in bootcamp where OS X creates the bootable windows USB does not work with Windows 8 at this point. I've tried to boot from the USB in vmware fusion, and I doesnt work there either. Same error.

I will fix this by installing windows, and making the bootable USB from windows with diskpart.

edit: diskpart didnt work. USB drive was not listed as disk in Vmware fusion. I'll have to go with a dvd.

Update deux:
    DVD seems to be working, so just play by the rules and you'll be fine.