Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loggo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Hi all

I'm having grief trying to create a new windows partition on my MCP. This is a similar problem to a million others that i've read on google, but slightly different and I cant get to the bottom of it.

Soooooo, I had a 100GB hard drive running 10.5 and created a 20GB partition for XP. All good, all worked. But 20GB wasnt quite enough so I purchased a new 160GB drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner to create an exact copy of my OS X partition on the new drive. Removed old hard drive, installed new one and OS X runs like a dream still.

However, now I go to make my windows partition using bootcamp assistant and get the following error:

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS
Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

Thing is, there is only one partition on my drive when I look in disc utility. I could just format the drive and restore using carbon copy cloner I guess, but I'd like to avoid that hassle. Anyone got any idea why Bootcamp thinks the drive cant be partitioned???? I'm lost.......

Cheers

Loggo

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

from the forum rules:Minor Problems3.
Thread titles.
Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us#Minor_Problems

oneeach

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
I was seeing the same thing when I replaced my hard disk. The problem turned out to be that I didn't set the Partition Map Scheme to "GUID Partition Table". You can check in Disk Utility by selecting the drive (not a partition) and in the lower right corner you should see the scheme.

If that is the problem, then you will need to boot off the old drive and start over. As I recall, it is the erase option in Disk Utility that allows you select the partition scheme, but I could easily be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.