Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disgrace

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
I'm attempting to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro 15" running Snow Leopard, penultimate-spec without Thunderbolt.

However, Bootcamp flat-out refuses to partition my drive. Boot camp assistant freezes during partition, locking up the Mac itself.

I've been doing some reading up, and everyone appears to get error messages such as "cannot move files." I do not get any error message; my Mac just freezes.

I've attempted to partition three times, the first time it got to around the 60% mark. Now twice, I've got to the 40% mark (which it shoots to immediately and then no progress) before doing nothing for hours. I've left it for hours, and nothing as I thought I may have been too quick to reboot first time around.

I've used OnyX to clean caches and everything up, quit unneeded processes via iStat Menus and no luck.

I've done a fresh install of OSX which, to my surprise, did not wipe any of my files. Is that normal? I've used disk utility first aid twice now to fix my drive and restore the one partition, because when it freezes, I reboot and I lose the hard drive space but I don't get the bootcamp drive on my desktop as apparently it should (I wouldn't know, it refuses to get that far).

So have I got a busted hard drive? I've seen on teh interwebz problems relating to fragmented files, so is there a free app that could defragment? Would that even work?

Any other workarounds? I see I can create a partition via disk utility. If it actually partitions (which is the problem), can I install Windows that way and skip Bootcamp altogether?

Or must I wipe my disk entirely, or better yet, get a new one?

Thanks for any help, because I'm currently stuck in a loop.

Edit: upon more reading, I see people with the same issue and my problem may appear to be a "kernal panic." Can some genius elaborate on this?

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Boot from your OSX install CD and run Disk Utility from that. Verify and Repair your OS X partition and try again.

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Disgrace said:
I've used disk utility first aid twice now to fix my drive and restore the one partition...

Both from the CD, I should've mentioned. I can try for a third time...

Had to check. You can certainly make the placeholder FAT32 partition in Disk Utility if it will work.

The only other thing you need to do do differently is hold Alt/Option every time Windows wants to reboot.

B

Disgrace

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Okay, so assuming this partition actually works via Disk Utility on the Mac disc, how do I install Windows from there on that partition?

Also, if I do a clean install of Mac on my hard drive (which appears to be the only other solution), will I need to pay for apps I've already purchased such as iStat Menus?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.