Bootcamp: "Files cannot be moved"

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OnTheAn, Jan 28, 2012.

1. OnTheAn macrumors newbie

So i was trying to bootcamp, when i clicked the button "partition", it loaded for a while and then this message came up:
    [​IMG] :mad:
    well i searched the error up on google, and found that re-installing mac os x will fix this problem, so i've done that it took like a hour, then i tried it again, and no succes :eek:, if anyone could help it would be very appreciated :)

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I know some people have had success with this problem by booting from their OS X disc and partition their hard drive using Disk Utility. I suppose you could give that a go.

Or, if you're forced to reinstalled OS X again, fire up Disk Utility from the installation disc, format the drive, partition it how you want it to be and then installed OS X.

3. OnTheAn thread starter macrumors newbie

so.. you mean removing all my files and reinstall os x like it was when i bought it?, i don't really wanna loose my files, and don't got an external hard drive

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Well, my first suggestion allows you to partition the drive while leaving everything intact.

When you said you reinstalled OS X, did you not do a clean install?

5. OnTheAn thread starter macrumors newbie

no, it just repaired everything, none of my files got lost.

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Yeah, when the error message asks you to reinstalled OS X, it means to clean everything off and start from a fresh install.

7. OnTheAn thread starter macrumors newbie

oh... is there a way i can save my files somewhere while doing this or do i need an external hard drive

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The canonical thread about this is here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191729

It is often enough to boot from your Mac OS X install disc or repair partition and repair the partition, but there are plenty of other options in that thread.

B

9. siritalks macrumors member

I got the same error last week when trying to install Windows 7 to Bootcamp, and I phoned Applecare to help out.

They talked me through the process of (instead of re-installing OS X), launching Lion in safe mode (I believe it was cmd R when starting up), going to Disk Utility, and Repairing the Hard Drive. That worked for me.

If you have Applecare I'd advise you phone them to talk you through the process rather than risking getting potentially bad advice online (no offence to anyone here, but you could void any warranties by trying fixes yourself).

10. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

None taken :)

No one at my university takes my advice anyway because they see me as a dirty Windows user :p