Bootcamp first or later?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seekersu, Nov 24, 2015.

1. seekersu macrumors newbie

Dear Guys:
    I will receive my new iMac tomorrow and it would be my first time to use bootcamp. I wonder if I should set the bootcamp immediately after unboxing, so the disk partitions will be less fragmented after using for a period of time? Or bootcamp itself will do "De-fragmentation" before making another disk partition (so it doesn't matter?)

2. Dksiazek macrumors newbie

I would set up windows through bootcamp first. My reason for the suggestion, is I did not and had the windows instal fail. After failing, I could not restore the hard drive to one partition or try the install again so I had to erase the entire drive. I would not spend too much time on your mac partition till your windows is setup completely.

Just my .02

3. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

I'd do it right away. I've never ran into they type of failure that the previous poster has but it's best to do it before you start installing and downloading all your new programs onto it.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

The right answer is NEVER :)
    Dont ruin your iMac with a windows installation ;)

Joke aside, I would set up BootCamp immediately after unboxing and updated the OS X, before any applications.

5. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

do it straight away, and make sure you choose the right partition size for you, as once its in if you want to change it its a right pain and easier to delete and replace

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think setting up bootcamp sooner then later because it allows you to define how you will be using the computer. Plus if you start adding a lot to your storage, then its possible the bootcamp process will take even longer is it moves data around to create a partition for windows.