Bootcamp for beginners

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NikkiJayne, Aug 4, 2012.

1. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

I have just ordered my first Mac (the rMBP) and am pretty much a Mac novice. I don't play many games but those I do I hear run better on Windows. My question is, if I wanted to install Windows for gaming, how would I go about it? I have a copy of Vista but it's on a disk and of course the rMBP has no disk drive. Can I make the files into an iso and run with a disk emulator? I've never tried installing an OS before so any help is greatly appreciated!

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Apple has a pretty decent manual on Bootcamp.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

If you're going to install Bootcamp, printing the manual would be wise so you can refer to it during installation.

You'll need Windows 7 to install Bootcamp under Lion or Mountain Lion. Support for Vista and XP was removed starting with Lion.

You can, on certain machines, use a flash drive to install Windows 7. There is a section in the Apple manual about how to go about that.

You could also use an external optical drive (like the Apple branded one) to install Windows 7.

3. NikkiJayne thread starter macrumors regular

NikkiJayne