Bootcamp for RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firepower12, Jun 16, 2012.

1. firepower12 macrumors newbie

I checked for bootcamp all over my laptop i cant seem to find it anywhere, and it didnt come with any disks or anything. Is there a specific place where i can get the Newest bootcamp which supports the RMBP??

Also how do i install windows 7 wihtout a disk? Can i use a USB?

2. mavfan11 macrumors member

bootcamp assistant is in your Utilities folder. As for the rest, Google is your friend.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It should be under Applications->Utilities. Yes, you can use a flashdrive to install Windows 7.

4. ladeer macrumors 6502

Rmbp does not support boot camp due to lack of video driver

5. AspiringSurgeon macrumors newbie

Is this true? I haven't used Bootcamp yet.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The drivers for Windows 7 weren't available until very recently. Some users have reported that they're available now when you run the Bootcamp Assistant.

7. ladeer macrumors 6502

this is an AMAZING new.
    i was about to return my rMBP and get the regular instead, because I do all my graphic design and gaming in Windows.
    thanks for letting me know.

8. AspiringSurgeon macrumors newbie

Gaming, I can understand; but graphic design in Windows as well? I thought the Mac was specifically made for media such as graphic design, photo editing and video editing.

9. aliennerd macrumors member

Slightly confused as to why you bought a Mac then? :confused:

10. iFanboy Guest

Graphic design in Windows? :confused:

Why did you buy a mac then?

11. mavfan11 macrumors member

windows

haha I love the befuddled responses, You do realize Adobe Creative Suite isn't just on the Mac. Maybe he had the windows version and switched to Mac for many things but still needs windows to run his graphic software. It's not the type of software that you just run out and buy another copy.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You can switch platforms through Adobe!

13. ladeer macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    I use windows cuz work has not upgraded to exchange 2010. It's still using exchange 2003 which MS office 2011 for Mac is not compatible. Also, I only have license for Adobe on Windows.
    My company is upgrading though so I am gonna rely on boot camp less. I never knew you can change platform! But I also have a PC at home. How do I do this? Can I get a license for Mac while keeping my PC copy?
    Thanks all

----------

In additions to what I just explained, I also think before Adobe optimize for retina, it's better experience to run it in boot camp natively.

14. richiez macrumors member

has anybody succesfully installed windows 7 on their RMBP? after using bootcamp assistant to partition the hd it reboots but then says: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I've tried with both a USB stick and an external HD, no dice. Googling doesn't show a clear answer to this problem.

15. Acidsplat macrumors regular

If you have any other USB devices connected, make sure they are all unplugged and only the Windows 7 install flash drive is inserted.
    This may be because the Mac is trying to boot off of the wrong USB drive, if you have more than one connected.

16. richiez macrumors member

nope its the only usb drive plugged in, really frustrating that I can't get this to work...

17. Qusus macrumors member

No Windows XP for rMBP?

Wait, does this mean that you can't run Windows XP via Bootcamp if you have a rMBP? Only Windows 7?

18. Acidsplat macrumors regular

That's been true for a while now. Boot Camp 4.0, introduced with Lion, dropped Vista and XP support. Not just the RMBPs were affected.

19. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Yup, and it's not a bad thing.

XP came out around the same time as Mac OS 10.0/10.1

Would you use an OS that old today?

20. Compton macrumors member

Rather XP than Vista.

21. Qusus macrumors member

No tech literate person would WANT to run XP today, but some businesses never updated their systems to run Windows 7. And some old software doesn't work well even with Windows 7 set to XP mode.

I'd rather never use XP again, but I'm afraid I don't have much choice. Didn't realize Lion dropped XP support.

22. jcpb macrumors 6502a

That's why Microsoft has a VM for XP in Windows 7 Pro / Ultimate.

23. houkouonchi macrumors regular

I am running windows 7 X64 on my retina macbook pro with no issues. I laughed that they set the DPI to 150% automatically during the driver installation. First thing I changed (back to 100%).

24. spdntrxi macrumors regular

From my friends that have all ready tried... you dont really need bootcamp for apps like photoshop, lightroom, etc.. besides as someone already said Adobe will switch you over to native if you own the software legit anyways. Bootcamp is a good ideas for GAMES.. otherwise just use VM software for windows apps.

When my rMBP comes in, I will be using Parallels for MS office ( I dont like the native office) and Sony Vegas Pro11.. I will go native for photoshop and lightroom from Adobe. I have to look into Final Cut, but I dont see any mention of 3D support.