BootCamp for Windows 8 issue MBA

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DreamSTi, Mar 28, 2013.

1. DreamSTi macrumors member

I decided to take the plunge today and load up Win 8 on my 2011 MBA (core2duo + 4gb ram). I did a clean install OVER Win 7 via the upgrade process since I had a Win 8 upgrade key.

I g0t Win running and I cant load any of the new drives to install. I downloaded this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

I get this error when I run the setup: Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model

What am I missing here??!!! :confused::confused:

2. rtheb macrumors 6502

I just read this over at Apple Discussions:

How to install Windows 8 on Mid 09 Macbook Pro (10.8.3).

READ THE WHOLE THREAD AS THE AUTHOR INDICATES HE MADE AN ERROR IN HIS FIRST POST WHICH HE CORRECTED LATER IN THE THREAD.

This appears to be the solution for the Non-Supported Macs of 10.8.3 to install Windows8 x64 relatively easily.

I haven't tried this as I am all good so NO GUARANTEES but would love to hear if this works for you and upon which Mac you installed.

He has a workaround posted there telling you how to get the Windows Drivers to install running as an administrator.

3. DreamSTi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, but my MBA is a 2011 and according to Apple, it shows as being supported with the latest bootcamp. :(

4. DreamSTi thread starter macrumors member

After thinking about this for a day, I think I should have loaded the new bootcamp drivers BEFORE I loaded up Windows 8.

I may revery back to Windows 7 and try that and see what happens...

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

So, why don't you go into boot camp assistant, delete the partition and re-do the process? That link you supplied is the right, updated driver set and should be installed after you get W8 up and running. Since you already have the W8 iso (assumed since you mentioned you had W7), you can just use the upgrade key to do a true clean install (vs over W7, maybe something in this process made it not work correctly).

6. DreamSTi thread starter macrumors member

The Win 8 key I have is only good for an upgrade from Win 7, so I cant use this key just by installing a Win 8 iso, I already tried that. The only way I can get Win 8, using the key I have, is using Microsofts upgrade assistant.

When I downloaded the new drivers on the Win 8 side, I got that error "Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model".

I'm really not sure what to do next. Win 8 crashes and freezes every couple minutes as well, and I'm assuming thats because none of the drivers are installed.

7. jenzjen, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have used 2 W8 upgrade keys to perform true, clean installs (blank hard drives) so it can be done provided that you burned the ISO onto a USB key. If you didn't do the latter, then you do need a Windows machine in order to run the upgrade assistant in order to get the ISO again (whew).

You should have already downloaded the drivers on that link onto a separate USB key (or save it on your OS X partition). Once you get W8 running, copy those drivers back onto the Windows side (or on a USB key) and click setup (I think it is called setup.exe) - if you get an error here, post the screenshot.

Or, I can't vouch for it but maybe this helps solve the x64 error - http://joepetruska.com/wordpress/?p=208

8. DreamSTi thread starter macrumors member

I just found this on Apple's site:

Can I use an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
    Yes. Download and install the Boot Camp 5 Support Software before attemping the upgrade by using the Boot Camp Assistant in OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3. Alternatively, you can manually download the Boot Camp 5 Windows Support Software here.

9. rtheb macrumors 6502

In the link i posted earlier projectRelentless posted how to install the BootCamp 5 drivers that I would try before going through the mess of re-installing.

Just disregard the disk switching etc as the post was written basically about getting non-suported Macs to be able to install Windows 8.

Since you already have Windows 8 installed the run as administrator option should work.

From projectRelentless post...

Upon finishing, lets go back to the USB/Burnt Disc where all your support software was saved, and lets get the newly support BootCamp 5.0.5033 opened up.
    Big Thanks to a post by ErikVanD i seen on this forum for the next step.
    If you want, try and click setup in this latest BootCamp support set, and you will get another sad error claiming x64 is not supported, something awful to that nature. Awww man, this far, only to get let down. Nope. We are going to fix that. And this is where ErikVanD's post pointed me to what we do next.
    It was said to navigate in the BootCamp 5.0.5033 folder to something of the effect of BootCamp/Drivers/Apple and run the MSI file "BootCamp" (MSI file will say Windows Installer in its description, and not necessarily MSI for anyone not too savy with Windows) **note - NOT .bootcamp (notice the period in the front) and it should work and install the new Windows 8 support for your MBP...but in my case it didn't, which is why im posting how i fixed this. Your setup may somehow be different, but mine gave me an error say it "needs elevated permissions to run, use setup.exe instead. We tried that remember! And it gave us the x64 not supported error. Oh man! Blabbing aside, this file needs to be ran as an administrator, which yeah your the only user, but Windows is funny like that. Normally youd just right click, and select run as administrator, but out the box, that option isnt there when you right click, only install, repair, open with etc. Here's the next trick, you need to add a registry file to enable running as an administrator, dont be afraid, this is an old trick, and really easy.
    Open notepad in Windows, and create a new doc, call it Add_MSI_run_as_administrator.reg
    Paste this following code into the new doc

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\Shell\runas] "HasLUAShield"="" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\Command] @=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\ 00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,00,\ 73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2f,\ 00,69,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,00,00,00

Or download the file already made from my company server at http://www.theprojectdev.com/public/pub.html **i put this there as a courtesy to help others like me, its just a complete reg file, so either create your own through copy and pasting above or download it. Either way, put it on your desktop.
    Now double click the new registry file, and allow/ok it to do its thing.
    Once done, you can discard the file from your desktop, or keep, your choice.
    Guess What!? Now we can do the impossible! Lets revisit that solution from before by going to the newest BootCamp 5.0.5033, and navigate to BootCamp/drivers/Apple and select that tricky BootCamp MSI file that wouldnt allow us to run, this time RIGHT CLICK it. Because of our new registry entry we placed, we now have an option to "Run as Administrator" Click that option.
    WooHoo! We have done what coudnt be done, BootCamp will now walk you through the installer, and add all the great support for Windows 8 on your mid 09 Macbook Pro that they for some reason neglected!
    After the update, you will endure yet another restart. From there, most likely using a wired mouse still, navigate to the system tray icon on the bottom right corner of the screen (little up arrow) and click it. It will pop up a little menu, showing system processes/stuff running, click the gray squared diamond (this is bootcamp) and it will bring up the newest BootCamp control panel. From here, you can nav to trackpad/touchpad and set tap to click (finally) and gestures, etc. This control panel has lots of good stuff to make a MBP user feel comfortable in Windows 8. There you go! You did it!

I really, sincerely hope this helps someone, as it really made my day to get this resolved. I want to add that all On Screen Displays will work (your volume/brightness etc) they keyboard backlighting, and so much more, it really works great. I upgraded my hard drive to 1tb, and installed 8gb of PNY RAM from best buy ($40) and it runs Windows 8, AND OSX fantastically.

My company http://www.theprojectdev.com designs and develops mobile apps (iOS and Android) and web design and development, so im a heavy user of both OS's, and this setup is just the best thing that has happened to me in a portable sense. Runs so so so fast! Enjoy everyone!

Try this "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" trick and let us know if it works for you.

10. DreamSTi thread starter macrumors member

Well I got Windows 8 up and running with only one small minor issue.

The brightness control doesn't work. I've disabled the brightness adaptive setting like I have been reading about. Anybody have any idea's what it could be??

11. vjlethal macrumors newbie

The easy method is search "CMD" on Windows 8....open it "as Administrator"...navigate to the folder where it is the "BootCamp64.msi" using the "cd" command.

The command to get the path could be something like this:

cd C:\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\Bootcamp64.msi

I installed that way and all the functions works correctrly... i had a problem that windows8 freezes but you can correct it with the "disabledynamictick" solution.

12. dpo macrumors member

Have done this, Bootcamp 5.0.5033, on my MBA 13" 2013 i5. The bootcamp applet is visible near the clock (but it only has tabs for startup disk and brightness).

Device manager reports that Multimedia Controller, Network Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, and SM Bus Controller are all missing. There's no sound, no wifi, and all the Mac keys (volume, brightness etc) behave like normal Windows function keys. Running the troubleshooting wizard Windows can find no relevant drivers.

Any suggestions?

13. midijamm macrumors newbie

Windows 8 on unsupported models

I have lots of practice at this. I have installed it on many computers. Windows 8 on 2009 and previous works great like this:

1. Install Win 7 normally with Boot Camp Assitant.

2. Install the appropriate boot camp software for your machine.

3. Get it connected to your wifi.

4. Insert a Win 8 Install Disc (While Win 7 is running)

5. Run Setup from the Win 8 Disc and "upgrade" to Win 8 being sure when prompted to KEEP YOUR wIN 7 SETTINGS etc.

Your Boot camp drivers will be carried over into Win 8 and will work.

6. After you have Win 8 running Download Power Plan assistant and Trackpad ++

These will give your trackpad gestures, tap to click, two finger right click and make win 8 fun to use. Install them in that order. Select the correct version of trackpad ++ when prompted and enjoy

BTW

KMSnano will activate win8 and My_WCP_Watermark_Editor will remove watermarks

Always pay for your wonderful software

14. Shiryder macrumors newbie

installed bootcamp 5.0 on mid 2010 mbp successfully

Hi, new here looking for help, I tried the regedit sample posted earlier, didn't work, tried the cmd approach, no joy. so these are the steps I took and had absolute success. on a mid 2010 mbp that bootcamp 5.0 would not work on because its not supported by apple. running windows 10 tech preview.
    from mac I downloaded bc 5.0 not 5.1 to a flash drive:
    started win 10 and this will work on 8.1 also:
    copied the bootcamp 5.0 to the desktop:
    navigated in windows explorer to the bootcamp.msi file, C:\Users\TJ\Desktop\BootCamp5\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp.msi:
    In the Quick Access Tool Bar at the top I clicked file:
    in the drop down I hovered over windows powershell, then clicked open power shell as an admistrator:
    at the command prompt I typed ".\BootCamp.msi" no quotes :
    the bootcamp installer started and ran successfully, now all my drivers work just like on the mac os. no crashes or issues.
    this seemed not possible but it is...
    good luck....

mid 2010 MacBook pro 13"
    8gb ram
    osx Yosemite
    win 10 technical preview....
    :D