Bootcamp for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eowl, Dec 26, 2011.

1. eowl macrumors member

eowl

Hi all,

I'm wanting to use windows on my mac using bootcamp but i'm confused as to which version of windows I need to buy. With my academic discount I can get a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade, is this what I need? I'm confused by the upgrade part! Also will I need a 32 bit or a 64 bit?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

You need a FULL version, as an Upgrade is just an upgrade and needs an older version of Windows to be installed.
    As for 32-bit or 64-bit: Doesn't matter, both will run and if your Mac has more than 4 GB RAM, take the 64-bit version.

3. eowl thread starter macrumors member

eowl

Oh that's a shame, don't really want to spend loads on a version of windows, was hoping that one would do it :(

Thanks for your response

4. simsaladimbamba

If that Upgrade works with Windows XP, you might find a Retail version of it for 30 USD or so.
    Can't you get a full version of Windows 7 with your academic connections?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't use an upgrade if you don't already have Windows installed, because there's nothing to upgrade.

6. wanders macrumors newbie

You absolutely can do a clean install of Windows for bootcamp with upgrade media -- I have done it many, many times with a Home Premium upgrade disc I got through a student promotion. The subsequent activation does require a bit of trickeration, however.

7. eowl thread starter macrumors member

eowl

No they only offer an upgrade which is a shame, I do know someone who works for Microsoft though so i'll see if he can buy a copy for me and send it through!

8. Maverick513 macrumors member

Get the 64bit Windows 7, for both the RAM capacity and the CPU.

9. steved324 macrumors newbie

Using bootcamp

I was wondering, when you install Windows and you need to put the bootcamp drivers in do you install it on the Windows or the Mac side? I assume Windows

Also is there a way to install all the drivers at once or do you do it one at a time?

Main reason i as this is because my Wireless card isn't working and getting a signal on the Windows side does that have to do with drivers or is there another cause to this?

10. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Yeah it works, technically speaking, but isn't that basically a glorified form of piracy?