Bootcamp from VMWARE?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by di1in, Sep 23, 2011.

1. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

Just one question: Is it possible to use bootcamp from a VMWARE installation of WinXP?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, a VMware's Fusion creates a proprietary file that contains the the OS and apps. If you want to run windows in bootcamp, you must partition your drive and then install windows from a windows install disk.

conversely after installing windows via bootcamp, VMware can use the BootCamp partition instead of their proprietary file structure. So in a sense its close to what you're asking. One windows install being used from BootCamp and VMware.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

is it possible to clone the VMware to the bootcamp partition?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its not possible because you would need direct access to the hardware in vmware for such an operation and that's not possible AFAIK

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I believe it is...
    when VMware is running and you connect say a thumb drive it asks you if you want to connect it to VMware or Mac. when connected to VMware i can use the VMware os, in this case win 7 to format the thumb drive etc.

I'm thinking it may be possible to create a bootcamp partition, eject it with disk utility, then mount it again?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well give it a shot and report back, that would be helpful and useful information