Bootcamp, Fusion - Windows OS on MBP - Notebook Ultilies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Sep 6, 2008.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

I use Visio heavily and am planning to ~convert~ and get a MBP . I plan to either run it vis-a-vis Bootcamp which is ++ since there seems to be native x64 drivers or just with VMWARE Fusion

This may be a simple or not so simple question, but if under Windows, how does the unit behave things like Power Manager, or even using *function* keys - brightness control, etc if I used it under Bootcamp ?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Off topic, but I've given up on Visio in favour of OmniGraffle Pro, which is Mac native and exports as Visio format. Much easier to work with IMO.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Using Bootcamp drivers on Vista 32 I have not seen any issues with controlling the unique Mac hardware, Volume and display etc.

Visio also works fine for us using 32bit XP or Vista (we've don't have a 64bit version to try). Its a bit faster on our MBP 2.2 than the 2.16 but it does work. However, the bigger the drawing with more layers, the slower the virtual environment becomes. Even though I try to stay in OS X/VMWare or Parallels, sometimes Bootcamp is a better choice.

May have to have a look at that, maybe they have a free trial. Thanks.

Cheers,

4. AquaMethod macrumors member

One caveat I'd mention is the trackpad—it works phenomenally well under OS X, but I've found it to be sporadic with 32-bit Vista in Boot Camp. It's fine when using VMWare Fusion, but Boot Camp...not so much; you may want a mouse to use with Boot Camp.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Good catch, I always use a mouse and have never even tried the trackpad.