Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolGuy2550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Hello all,

I recently bought a MBP and so far it has been a pleasant experience but now need to figure out a way to get a nice experience with Windows in it. I am not planning to run games but some applications like Visual Studio, MatLab, Quicken, etc.

I installed Windows Vista 64-bit through Bootcamp and then used Fusion. No support for Fusion yet to run Vista 64-bit but regardless it ran with an error and a tweak by editing the file. The reason I went with Bootcamp + Fusion is because mainly, in case there is a hardware failure, I can recover some of my windows files rather using an Image.

Now, using Vista natively feels slower than leopard and XP for some reason with startup time of 1 min and 20 seconds. (The fans keeps running at higher RPM than on Leopard). Running it using Fusion slowed it down much further: startup time was 3 minutes. 1.5GB Ram was allocated to Vista as I only have 2GB now (waiting on 4GB ram to arrive).

So my questions are:
1) How much ram can I allocate to Vista in Fusion to have a better experience? If I give it 3GB of RAM, would it run faster?
2) Should I just dump Vista all together and get XP? The reason I am staying with Vista 64-bit because it can see my total RAM (4GB). Would running XP with 3GB be pleasant experience?

Let me know your experience and what do you suggest I do.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Retired
May 16, 2006
XP with 3GB will be faster than Vista with 4GB, especially on start up (RAM isn't involved).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.