Bootcamp Gaming & GPU Temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macDonalds, Aug 24, 2010.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death and I've done some initial research, but would like some feedback based on my situation.

I have recently installed some games on Bootcamp, Windows 7 64bit. I'm running the i5 Macbook Pro mid 2010 model with the 330m GT card and 256mb graphic memory. I'm finding that all Source games run very smoothly and am especially happy that Bad Company 2 runs at native resolution (1440x900) @ 30+ (and a very smooth 30fps at that, which seems a little odd for me). Anyway...

I have been monitoring my gpu temps and I have hit a max temp of 89c, which makes me a bit nervous. However, when I exit out of a game the gpu temp seems to be around 70 or so and drops pretty quickly. Is it correct to say the reason for this is that the mbp fans don't kick in soon enough? Hence, the reason why I have hit a max of 89c, yet directly after exiting the temps look fine.

I've done some research on fan control software and it sounds like lubbo's is a good option. Is the idea to keep the slowest fan speed at like 3-3.5k and lower the upper temp threshold to something lower than default? Here's a screenshot of the software: http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=224842.

This is my first time using fan control software. I just want to make sure I understand. If I set it to 3.5k, it will start at that speed thus keeping temps cooler. Then by setting the upper threshold lower, means the fans will spin faster sooner, keeping the gpu cooler. Do I have that right?

Thanks!!!

2. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I use lubbos in bootcamp as well and I find it makes the fans respond MUCH faster than with standard apple bootcamp drivers. I keep my fans around 2500 when just doing normal work but if im going to game, I kick them up to 6k then open the game.

It's always easier to keep something cool then to cool something thats already hot. Those temps are not unheard of by any means but they are slightly high. When gaming I normally get around 70-75 degrees and with the more intense games around 80. Though if I kick the fans up to 6k before opening a game sometimes the temp stays in the 60s even after an hour of play (in OS X, havent looked in bootcamp).

3. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, so you just lock the fan speed prior to playing. Is there no way to say: "kick in at this temp and do your thing". I'd rather just tell Windows to start firing up at a certain temp and figure out what fan speed is best. Maybe that's not possible though.

I also wonder if we're trading one problem for another. In other words, kicking the fans into high gear for a longer time = shorter life span of the fan (if that's even possible).

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

that is a very good idea, a friend of mine has this very same setup, and its notorious to overheating.

5. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question with lubbos - does this setting stick in os x? I'd rather it not. And do I just configure each time I go into Windows or does it remember the setting (start up folder perhaps?).

6. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I think that might be the temp threshold that your talking about but im not sure. Whenever I game i hear the fans spin up almost immediately so I think lubbos knows what to do. As far as i know, the settings do not stick in os x.

And about trading problems. Even if the fan lifespan is shortened, they are easily replaceable by the user for ~$50. A failed logic board due to constant high temps is ~$700. Over time the heat will wear out the logic board so the hotter the shorter lifespan, the cooler the longer lifespan. You pick :p

7. macDonalds thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. Thank you for your input.