BootCamp Gaming on a new 3GHz MBP17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gødspeed, Jun 11, 2009.

1. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Hi all, I just bought a new 17" MacBook Pro, 3.06GHz, 7200RPM drive, the rest standard; it will arrive in about a week. I am getting it for film editing, and a bit of gaming as well. I will be installing BootCamp with Windows XP, and am wondering which games I can run on it, and on which settings I can run them. Here are some of interest to me:

World of Warcraft
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R
    Crysis
    Fallout 3
    GTA IV

thanks!

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

If you can't your MBP is defective. Your specs are pretty ridiculous. Even a high end 13" could pretty much run all those games on the very lowest settings. I'm sure you could run them all on high/highest setting.

3. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Those games will run just fine on your system :D

However, I would suggest installing the 64-bit Windows 7 RC version rather than Windows XP. You'll be able to take advantage of the processing power your MacBook Pro has.

Your system should run through those games fairly well, 40FPS and higher at medium-high settings at a standard resolution (around 1280x800).

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

He might even get 40 FPS on highest settings for the more graphics intensive games.

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

GTA IV is going to be the tough one as it just sucks to run as I am told, it is even more intensive then Crysis! Though that's only due to sloppy coding.

6. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

Woah, thanks for the fast replies!

Can anyone comment about driver compatibility with these games? Is it difficult to get them running on a BootCamp system? And can I really run Crysis on high!? I knew I was buying a good machine, but I didn't expect that!

Thanks for the tip on Windows 7... I think I may do that. Is it relatively stable? And backwards compatible with all XP/Vista software?

Thanks again!

7. thornton93 macrumors newbie

im geting the same MBP as u r:D

if u do install window 7 via bootcamp...how would u install it if u didnt have the install disks?? and where do u download it??

8. thornton93 macrumors newbie

9. John89 macrumors regular

Just out of curiosity, how would windows 7 outperform xp? Is that just because its 64bit?

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

they're prob referring to the fact that it's 64 bit, so you can use all of your ram instead of being limited to 3.25 or so with 32 bit.