Bootcamp gaming on an iMac - Windows 7 or 8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by eattherich, Mar 17, 2013.

1. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Hey everyone!

I've been a Mac user for a long time but I've only just started looking into using Bootcamp. I should be taking delivery of a late 2012 27" iMac in the next few days and I'm looking to install Windows in Bootcamp so I can play some games. Now that 10.8.3 supports Windows 8 in Bootcamp I also have that to consider.

I won't be using Windows for anything other than games so which do you recommend? Also, where's the best place to buy from? Obviously there's no DVD drive on the new iMac so I need to make sure I can install it.

Thanks! :)

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Either one works.

Windows 8 has slightly better performance, but it isn't the most important thing in the world.

Maybe with Windows Blue that will change, but for now I'm not sure. If you have Windows 8, use it. If you don't, you'll be alright.

3. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

Thanks for your reply! What's the best way to go about installing it? Do I have to buy a DVD (OEM version, for example) and then create a USB from that?

4. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

If you really want it, the best method depends on your internet connection. You can guy it online.

The best way of installing it would probably be either a USB or DVD. Either will work with bootcamp, I hooked up a DVD player to my Air to make sure that it works