Bootcamp & Gaming Only CRASHING

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by xallever, Apr 26, 2010.

1. xallever macrumors newbie

Hi,

I don't think this was an issue back then when I had only purchased my MBP. I am using a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15" MBP, with Mobility Radeon X1600 as my graphics card. I'm also on a 4 GB RAM. I'm using Leopard, running Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I'm using a 2.1 version of Bootcamp. I use Windows XP SP3.

Basically, I know that my MBP will be hotter when playing games, but the heat issue wasn't an issue back then. I don't know why it should be an issue now.

I've run the test using a Parallels, for the same games: Majesty 2, Virtua Tennis 2009, Lineage II, Worms Armageddon. The games run very slowly in the Parallels, as expected, but I was only waiting for my Windows to crash after a little time of playing, but it didn't happen when I was using the Parallels.

Also, I have no problem running any games in Mac itself, games such as Civilization IV, Fable TLC, Tomb Raider.

Therefore, I think I'm justified to believe that the problem lies specifically with running games in bootcamp (my windows doesn't crash if I don't play any games). Which is of course, one of the few reasons I install Windows on a Mac, that is for gaming.

I don't think the driver is an issue. I don't think the temperature is an issue. Anyone?

2. aki macrumors 6502a

Well there are a couple of tests I would try if I were in that situation.

One is, try running some other heavy-duty app under windows, that isn't a game. Say, try transcoding video for an hour, and see if windows dies on you. Ie. is it something specific to games or more about how much lifting your system is having to do. If the system crashes in other nongaming stress situations I'd start to guess heat.

You could also try some temperature monitoring apps. The ones that run under windows may be more or less reliable. You can always just play a game for 10 minutes or something (how long does the system last? or does it crash immediately?), then reboot back into osx and just check the temps right away with istat or similar. If you really do have a heat issue you will be able to see it easily enough.

Re "heat wasn't a problem before", things can change - dust can collect in the innards for example; and some video drivers generate more heat than others, if you have updated them at all. Etc.

The more serious solution would be to try reinstalling things, ie. update DirectX, reinstall/update video drivers, or ultimately, reinstall Windows.

These are all pretty obvious suggestions but they are what I would try.

Good luck!