Bootcamp gaming overheating blank screen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ashbury, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ashbury macrumors newbie

Hi, while playing any game after awhile my macbook will become very hot, first the fps drops and then literally 10 seconds later the screen goes blank, sometimes its colored and other times its not, i can still here the game playing and in order to get rid of it i have to alt tab out of the game, then alt tab back in.. once back in the game, i can play for like 40 seconds and then the same thing happends and i get the blank screen, REALLY annoying, i am running windows xp, in bootcamp, would really appreciate any sort of reply :) thank you.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I use a program called MacFan to control the speed of the fans on my MacBook Pro. I wrote a little batch file and placed it in the Startup folder in the Start Menu so that every time I start Windows, it will put the fans at 3000 RPM.

3. ashbury thread starter macrumors newbie

bump

bump, that didnt work, would it be something damaged by the heat? cause it only sometimes happends? thanks

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Sounds like GPU overheating, which is likely a hardware issue with badly applied heat paste. I'd take it to apple, though try and reproduce it in os x, xp especially isn't a supported os unless it's an old model so they may give a run around.

Though it is odd that it works at all after alt tabbing, graphics drivers should normally only be able to reset themselves on vista/7 to my knowledge.

5. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Hi I know that this thread hasn't had a reply since last year but I read that certain 2010 MacBook Pros were recalled because of board issues and you could get it fixed for free if yours is one of the affected models.