Bootcamp gets stuck

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frankje, Oct 24, 2015.

1. frankje macrumors newbie

frankje

Hello, I am using mac os x el capitan, and I have a windows 8.1 iso file that I want to use to dualboot. When I use Bootcamp, It recognizes the .iso file, and also my 64Gb usb-stick, but when running bootcamp it gets stuck halfway downloading the windows support-software. Is there a way to bypass this or am I simply doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance, Frank

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You're going to need the Windows support software to properly setup your Mac to run Windows 8.1, so there is no way around needing it. You may be able to download the support software separate from Boot Camp but either way it's necessary. Perhaps someone else can chime in and provide a link where you can directly download the support software.

3. frankje thread starter macrumors newbie

frankje

I found another way: Using the Parallel software I can run Windows in a virtual machine without any problems

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Right, that's because Parallels is providing the drivers for virtualization. As long as you're not running graphic intensive games or other programs that need better graphics, Parallels will work well.