Bootcamp GPU drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whitedragon101, Jun 16, 2017.

1. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

2. leman macrumors 604

A very nice person has set this up:

http://www.bootcampdrivers.com

IMO, this is absolutely unacceptable from AMD. They blocklist Mac hardware from their Windows drivers, for whatever reason.

3. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks

Crazy that AMD are not supporting their own products.

4. mhd2100 macrumors member

mhd2100

It's actually Apple's fault. Turns out AMD send Apple the drivers but Apple don't bother making them available via software update, and they won't allow AMD to host the downloads on their website. Standard AMD drivers don't actually work quite right with Macs in bootcamp because the graphics cards need different software device settings to run properly compared to the equivalent PC cards.

5. vladobizik macrumors 6502

I really appreciate your amazing public service of making the latest drivers available for our Boot Camp systems.

6. leman macrumors 604

Same here :)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 17, 2017 ---
    Thats very interesting! Just for my curiosity, what are the differences? (I guess one can read about it on your forums?)

What puzzles me is that Nvidia hardware never had that problem... vanilla Windows drivers always worked on Macs.

7. mhd2100 macrumors member

mhd2100

The differences depend on the card. They can be very minor like on the M295X. Or massive like with the M300 series cards. Minor differences only infer maybe a couple of extra lines of installer code, bigger differences require additional files to enable compatibility.

8. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My friend has just bought a MacBook Pro with a 560 in it. Would be great if you could answer the following :

1) Would there be a significant performance improvement using the bootcampdrivers.com version for this GPU?

2) What are the risks to the system of using the bootcampdrivers.com version? Any risk of failing to boot into windows /black screen/ games not loading; that kind of thing?

3) If the new drivers are unstable is there any way to restore the Apple approved drivers without a complete bootcamp windows reinstall ?

Many thanks :)

9. mhd2100 macrumors member

mhd2100

1) yes.
    2) the chance of something like that happening is about 5% and usually caused by people tampering with windows or installing conflicting software.
    3) apple drivers can be easily reinstalled the same way you install these drivers.

10. vysyus macrumors newbie

For anyone who might find this helpful, 17.10 are up on AMD's website.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp

Curiously, just today I installed Graphics Driver Update 6.3 via Apple Software Update on my MacBook Pro 2017, but these are 17.6

So, one can hope we'll be getting at least semi-regular updates in the future. Fingers crossed...

11. mhd2100 macrumors member

mhd2100

I honestly wouldn't hold your breath, but this release is big news also for me as it has helped me to fix the brightness control issue and going forward might even provide even more stability for future unofficial drivers.