Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axl124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Guys I have a question that I just want a definitive answer to so I can proceed with my decision.

Under bootcamp windows7, can I use any of the new AMD graphic cards(like the HD 6970)? I have a Nvidia 8800 GT right now on my mac pro 3.1 and I would like to upgrade. However I only really need the new graphics card for video games so if I were to keep the Nvidia 8800GT and put the AMD 6970 HD in as well. Could I use the AMD 6970 for windows 7 and the Nvidia GT 8800 for OS Lion? Or would there be problems with the AMD 6970 since its a apple motherboard and there would be compatibility issues or something?

Also does it matter whether the PC card for the AMD HD 6970 is made by ASUS,Sapphire etc?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Under Bootcamp, the Mac Pro will be a normal PC, so you can use any GPU you want. So the AMD 6970 should be fine, and you shouldn't have any problems with who makes it. The other thing you may want to look into is the power. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but with limited power cables in the MP case, but you may need to get a splitter or an external power supply unless you want to open the case each time you shut down to switch OSes. Also, with it being a PC card you may need to get different cable to supply the card with power anyways.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
So long as you can get sufficient power to the card, then Yes. A 6970 by any manufacturer will work in a MP under Windows.

Please note, that the MP uses non-standardized cables (2x 6 pin connnectors that are smaller than standardized PSIG 6 pin on the logic board). You can get them here if needed. If they won't supply enough power, then you'll need to run a separate PSU.

Axl124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Thanks for the info guys! I will do more research. I have to say people here are more helpful than people working for macs tech support. You would think tech support would have some idea of how these things work. Extremely annoying.

There is OpenCL support for a AMD Raedon 6970 on OS Lion. No one could even explain what OpenCL was.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
There is OpenCL support for a AMD Raedon 6970 on OS Lion. No one could even explain what OpenCL was.

6970 will not do anything else then run at 1024x768 with no QECI enabled - there are no drivers in OSX yet.

Axl124

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
6970 will not do anything else then run at 1024x768 with no QECI enabled - there are no drivers in OSX yet.

As long as it works on bootcamp windows 7 i don't really care. I use my mac os for logic and i don't need a crazy video card for that. I will just keep my nivida 8800 GT in there. Then switch onto the 6970 when I boot into windows for my games.

I have read that there is problem switching graphics with the mac. Is there a way people deal with that on their macs, other than just plugging out your graphics card each time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.