Bootcamp Graphics Drivers - Worth updating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benson-uk, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Benson-uk macrumors newbie

NVIDIA Driver Downloads
    GeForce Release 179 for Notebooks BETA
    Version: 179.28
    Release Date: December 18, 2008
    Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Language: U.S. English
    File Size: 126 MB

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winxp_179.28_beta.html

I have a Penryn Macbook Pro running windows xp, is it worth performing this update or is it already installed through bootcamp?

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

Boot Camp drivers are very outdated compared to the new ones that nVidia released last week. It's worth the upgrade, as it adds better performance in games and PhysX support. I personally am waiting for a proper release instead of the current Beta version. Plus, nVidia also promised later updates of drivers that support Hybrid SLI, which means that we may be able to switch between the two GPUs in XP.

3. Benson-uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Blue Screen

I downloaded and istalled the update but now when i boot into windows i get a blue screen just after a short black screen. The screen flashes and then automatically switches off. It will boot into safe mode just not normal?

Any help?

Thanks

4. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Only update drivers when Apple provides them.

The one's that nVidia is providing is for PC's only, not simulated PC's on Macs.

5. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

I tried the new drivers, but to my dismay they STILL haven't enabled the option to use an external monitor as the primary display..

In order to do that you still have to download the drivers from laptop2go and use a modified .INF file.

But I've never had any problems with them and am using a 180 driver just fine on my unibody. Plus I don't need to cock my head to the left to use my main display when docked at home.. Stupid driver restrictions.. GAH

6. Loki.Mephisto macrumors regular

Germany / Austria - Mozart, no Kangaroos!
    A Mac IS a PC when using Bootcamp, not a simulated PC :rolleyes:

7. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

:rolleyes:

I am running 180.84 DOX Optimized drivers on my MBP with great results. Apple will be forever slow on updated bootcamp drivers unfortunately.

8. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

This is technically good, safe advice, but if you're Bootcamping Windows on a Mac, you're probably doing it to play games, and therefore you absolutely cannot be constrained by the ancient drivers Apple releases. If the newly released Nvidia drivers don't work (and I have no idea why that would be the case), try the latest release from laptopvideo2go.com.

9. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

try uninstalling the drivers you just put in and reinstalling the boot camp video drivers. That should at least get you back to where you started.

10. Benson-uk thread starter macrumors newbie

System Restore

In order to save my partition i booted in safe mode and performed a windows system restore to an earlier date..

It seems strange that it would boot in safe mode but not at all in normal. The blue screen with lots of writing simply flashes and then the system turns off and restarts.

Ill look on the link you have provided and see what happens then. Thanks for all the replies.

Fortunately the system restore worked and i did not loose my partition. :)

11. prinzphilipp macrumors newbie

how did you get this to work?
    "external monitor as the primary display"

i've been looking for a solution for this for a long time ...

phil

12. DJ567 macrumors regular

i use apples 'ancient' drivers and to get external monitor as primary display i use 1 of two methods

1st method is to boot the mac select windows then close immediately with the monitor plugged in... that always works for me

2nd is when windows is started go to the properties menu for the display tell windows to extend your display onto the monitor then set it as primary and it should disable the macbook/pro monitor although you cannot close it without it going to sleep

this works fine on a white macbook with intel gma950 a black macbook with x3100 and my mbp nvidia 9600m gt 256

i am considering using newer drivers just dont like when stuff breaks in windows it gives me enough of a headache as it is having to use it for games.

13. prinzphilipp macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast reply ... but maybe i was clear enough ;)
    i also got my external monitor to be my primary display BUT only when disabling the notebook's own display. but what can i do when i want to use both displays and the external one as primary?

phil

14. DJ567 macrumors regular

sry i misunderstood thats follows the same principle... simply go to display properties when the external monitor is set to primary...

under the list that will something like
    1. generic pnp monitor on nvidia geforce 9600m gt
    2. generic pnp monitor on nvidia geforce 9600m gt

select whichever 1 is nto set to the main monitor and it will extend the display onto your macbook monitor. bare in mind that if the resolutions are not the same windows may appear in slightly different positions and the size of the windows is relative to your display. eg a 22" display with the same native resolution as a 20" display will display everything slightly larger

15. prinzphilipp macrumors newbie

when i try this - the "use this monitor as primary" is greyed out:
    (it's german but i think you know the different buttons ;) )

[​IMG]

and when i try to use the nvidia menu, i also only get the option for "LCD + dell 24" and not the other way around:

[​IMG]

any ideas ....!? i'm running out of them.

phil

16. DJ567 macrumors regular

this may be due to you running an older version of windows than me

im on windows vista ultimate, and this is what mine looks like.
    this is the setup with the external monitor as primary and the mbp monitor extending it. to change this i click, this is my main monitor on the second window and it simply swaps them around

Attached Files:

17. dnjmarlboro macrumors member

18. prinzphilipp macrumors newbie

that sounds great - i will definitely try this.

and thanks of course for the vista screenshots and tips but i'm not yet willing to install vista on any of my computers ;)

phil

**** EDIT ***

worked great - i'm now sitting in front of my 24" dell as a primary monitor with the mbp next to it - also working as it should. thanks a lot.