Bootcamp HDMI display issues with RETINA MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nightizm, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Nightizm macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have a 15'' Late 2013 Retina MBP.

When I am on my Windows partition, and I plug in my HDMI chord to a 35'' Sony TV, my desktop becomes HUGE, along with everything else.

When I plug in my HDMI chord while in OS X, everything scales out properly between the actual screen and the TV screen, which is great. While I'm in OS X and reboot into Windows, the scaling is also correct. BUT when I unplug HDMI while in Windows, everything goes SUPER tiny on my MBP screen.

Basically, Bootcamp is doing a horrible job at handling my HDMI chord. It works fine when I'm in OS X and swtich it over to Windows, but when I boot up in Windows and THEN plug in the HDMI chord, it never works properly.

Is there any tool that helps with this? I seriously don't understand it. I have the correct Bootcamp Software installed.

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

It works fine on my old PC and on my OS X so therefore it's a Bootcamp issue, also probably an issue with the high PPI screen tripping something out.

I just want to see if anyone out here uses bootcamp as well with these new retinas.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Does the rMBP have nVidia graphics?
    What version of Windows are you running?

To lump it under BootCamp is likely doing Apple a mis-service. It's more likely buggy drivers from Intel or nVidia, or an incorrect setting.

5. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running 2GB nVidia graphics yes, I have the recent update as of Nov 10th.

as for Intel drivers I'm not sure, I assume Windows just updates all that. I'm running Windows 8.1. If I downloaded drivers from Intel how would that work? Because I thought it was computer specific not WindowsXP/7/8 specific?

The reason why I'm assuming it's Bootcamp is cause it's also causing me trouble with the trackpad, when I double tap on the trackpad the pointer will freeze for 2 seconds before it starts to drag or move. I have the latest Bootcamp software for my model so I'm just kind of hoping there's a new update soon. I just am having a hard time finding someone else with a Retina screen and Bootcamp to relate to and ask questions.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'd have volunteered to give it a try, but I'm on Windows 7...

If it's got an nVidia GPU then don't worry about the Intel drivers as bootcamp always uses the nVidia.

7. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks anyway, I do have one more question though.

It took a great deal of time to set up my Windows side cause it's used for my professional work, so I was wondering, if I downgraded to Windows 7, or Upgraded to Windows 10, would I still have all my programs and data in tact? I may consider trying it to test if all my problems go away.

Or would I have to start fresh and re-download all my programs etc?

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Install the video drivers from nvidia. I have the same rmbp and it works fine with hdmi in windows 8.1.1.

9. MagicBoy, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You can't downgrade to Windows 7 leaving the settings, applications etc intact.

I've not actually tried Windows 10 yet, I've got my professional hands full with an 8.1 rollout for tablets at the moment. There will be an upgrade path, but as to how well it works with the beta release I can't tell you.

Me? I like Windows 7. It's always been solid and it works well. There's lots of nice engineering stuff under the Windows 8.x skin, it's just blighted by the awful touch GUI they foisted on the 95% of people who don't use a tablet. 8.1 with Update 1 is better, but that wouldn't be difficult. ;)

10. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I think it has to do with the high-resolution retina display and the system not adjusting itself at all or not properly for the TV.

11. Nightizm thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the latest nVidia drivers installed... I'm not sure what's going on still.

Can you do me a favour and turn on double-tap dragging on your Windows partition and test the double tap drag? See if the mouse locks before anything moves after the double tap..

Between that and the HDMI those are the last two things I need fixed, and since you have the same (Late 2013 Retina 15''?) then it would at least let me know it's possible to fix. You're using Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640 correct?

Thanks let me know.

----------

That's definitely the problem.

Unfortunately the latest nVidia drivers aren't helping.

----------

I should have just went with Windows 7... but I'm not 100% convinced it's Windows 8.1 causing it.. I think it's faulty Bootcamp Software but I have the latest software and someone else in the thread is telling me everything's good with them.

What did I do wrong!!!

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'm not booted into Windows at the moment, but the version of bootcamp should be the current version. I installed Windows 8.1.1 only a couple months ago. For reference, I'm not plugging HDMI into a TV, but instead a 24" monitor going from DVI to HDMI. For trackpad issues, you can try trackpad++ drivers. They are suppose to be better.

----------

If it is a scaling issue, then try turning off scaling and high dpi and see if that changes anything. This sounds like a settings issue.