Bootcamp help - windows 10 didn't install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by noobinator, Mar 16, 2016.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I have a Retina Macbook 12". I downloaded the .iso for windows 10 to my desktop. Plugged in a USB. Started up bootcamp assistant and it started to run. After about an hour it asked me to divide up the partition. I did. Then it rebooted after a few minutes to OSX. I look and see the partition was created but it has a 0 size. It's labeled windows. When I boot up and hold down option, only the Mac HD shows up. No windows option. So it sounds like everything worked except actually installing windows.

In the bootcamp assistant the option is now there to only remove windows, despite it not being installed as far as I can tell.

How do I get it to actually install windows?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No, I would suggest that Windows is not installed at all.
    The Boot Camp assistant creates a partition, and prepares that partition to accept a Windows install.
    And, a partition with no bootable system will not appear in the Option-boot picker screen.
    It WILL appear as a partition in your Disk Utility.

The Boot Camp assistant seemed to take a REALLY long time just to create a partition.
    I suspect that extra time was downloading the Windows support software to your USB flash drive. It's part of the prep process to get Windows installed. If you browse into your USB drive, where you moved the .iso, that you may now see more folders on that volume, such as "$WinPEDriver$", and "AutoUnattend.xml", maybe a couple of others, that are more than what you copied with the Win10 .ISO file.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The USB Windows installer doesn't show up? In that case it might not be bootable, and so after Bootcamp Assistant was done, OS X couldn't boot the USB Windows installer in order to start the installation process.

4. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I finally got this to install but now I'm having another issue. I do not know how to right click or set up scrolling on the trackpad. I installed the driver in the bootcamp folder but the trackpad isn't showing up in control panel.

Any suggestions?

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

In Win 10 settings, under Devices, then Mouse & trackpad.
    That should show your relevant settings.
    How do you right-click? Should respond by default on the right edge of the trackpad.

Are there any driver issues listed in the device manager in Windows?

6. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Under devices I see mouse and trackpad but the only option for trackpad relates to delay. Even under advanced theirs no options for right clicking or scrolling or anything (and it's all mouse settings). I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers with no luck. No driver issues in the device manager in windows.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The controls for right-click are in the Bootcamp control panel applet not the Mouse or Trackpad. That icon should be in the tray with the clock.