Bootcamp help..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sir Lethal, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Sir Lethal macrumors newbie

Okay, I posted this thread a few months ago and no one could figure out the problem, So here goes nothing.

Problem: I install windows 7 on my macbook using bootcamp, the macbook restarts and then loads up to a black screen saying "No bootable device select".

Now, I know how to get back into regular mac as you just restart and hold down those keys and select mac osx. But I want to figure out how to get the W7 installation working correctly.

As it just keeps coming up with the "no bootable device selected nonsense".
    This is also my second macbook.

Can anyone help me out here?

2. simsaladimbamba

On what medium is the Windows 7 installer? And where did you get Windows 7 from and how did you put it onto the medium?

3. Sir Lethal thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by what medium? I just loaded the W7 up into bootcamp and when it rebooted and I was about to go to the W7 installation it just says "no bootable device" So I wasn't able to select the medium unless you mean the "MAC HD".

Sorry to say is that I torrented the W7 iso. This shouldn't be a problem though as my friend did the same thing and bootcamp works for him perfectly..

4. simsaladimbamba

"Medium" as in "DVD" or "USB flash memory thumb drive" or "external HDD".
    Did you burn the .iso to DVD or did you extract it to some other medium? Do you want to install from the actual .iso file? Can you link to the thread you alluded to?

And then there is:

5. Sir Lethal thread starter macrumors newbie

I first just mounted the .iso, I have honestly never tried it with a DVD burned so I will try this.

And I figured this out in my own time, not learning about the "torrenting" from anywhere else. I'm going to go buy a real W7 disc tomorrow and see if that will work

6. simsaladimbamba

As you only mounted the .iso in Mac OS X and running Boot Camp to install Windows requires Mac OS X to eventually shut down, the .iso file was not available to be booted from.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios