Bootcamp help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lsuitgerz21, Jul 30, 2014.

1. lsuitgerz21 macrumors newbie

Sorry guys I've looked in the other threads for days and can't find an answer.
    So I've been try to install bootcamp for my mac for about a day now and I'm completely stuck. I have the late 2013 15" rMBP and am trying to install Windows 7 home premium on it. I followed the video "Install Windows 7 on a Mac Using Boot Camp Assistant (Mac OSX 10.8)" by MusicTechHelpGuy on youtube. I have gotten far enough where I have gotten windows 7 on the computer, but the USB drive where I have all the drivers from Bootcamp do not show up in Windows even when I have them in MS-DOS format. The USB drives show up in OSX and work perfectly fine so I know they are not the problem. Without these drivers, I can't connect to the internet (I think) and really don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Gjwilly, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Ideally, the drivers will be on the same USB drive as the Windows installation. That way the drivers get installed at the same time Windows is installed.
    Go back to the video you watched but do not uncheck the option to "Create a Windows 7 install disc".
    Leave all three options checked.
    Let Bootcamp create the USB install disc and download the latest drivers.
    As long as you use an 8GB USB everything will fit on the one drive.
    Use USB 2.0 and not 3.0.
    If you did use USB 3.0 then you can try booting back into OSx and recreating only the driver disk with a USB 2.0 drive and then go back to see if Windows can successfully read the drive. That could save you from starting from scratch.
    If your drive is already USB 2.0 you could also try plugging it into a different port. That sometimes works also if you don't want to start from scratch.
    And if you do start from scratch you'll need to erase your original Bootcamp partition before running Bootcamp because it won't create a new partition if it finds one exists already.
    Don't go to the Bootcamp support site.
    Don't download the drivers manually.
    Just run Bootcamp assistant and let it do all the work.
    It might take longer but you'll know that you're getting the right drivers for your specific hardware and you'll get an installation process that installs everything in the right order for success.