Bootcamp Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s2smooth4u, Feb 12, 2016.

1. s2smooth4u macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have a MacBook Pro and I am trying to install windows 10 for the use of some architecture programs. These are the specs of my computer:

15" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro
    2.3GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I'm pretty computer savvy but I'm running into a problem when I start the bootcamp app. I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file from their website to my desktop. I start boot camp and select the following task:

Create a windows 7 or later version install disk

Download the latest windows support software from apple

Install Windows 7 or later version

With the three options checked above I continue forward and make sure the computer can find the windows ISO file and my blank flash drive. This is where my problem occurs. When I hit continue I get the following message:

"YOUR BOOTABLE USB DRIVE COULD NOT BE CREATED"

BOOTCAMP ONLY SUPPORTS WINDOWS 7 OR LATER INSTALLATION ON THIS PLATFORM. PLEASE USE AN ISO FILE FOR WINDOWS 7 OR LATER INSTALLATION

Why am I getting this error if I have a windows 10 ISO?

Why can't my bootable USB drive be created?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I really can't seem to find the answer to my problem on google. Thanking you in advance!

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The 2012 still has the Superdrive right?
    Did you edit some files to enable the USB support in Bootcamp because it's in the firmware that MacBooks with Superdrives can only install Windows from the Superdrive.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could always try a windows 7 install and upgrade to win 10 afterwards, maybe you'll have a bit more luck that way.

4. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't edited anything just followed a tutorial step by step but that error keeps popping up
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2016 ---
    Windows 7 requires a CD key before downloading an ISO vs Windows 10 you can try for 30 days before you need to buy (I want to try it out to see how my computer handles the programs before I purchase)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Ok, well regardless of what you did you are not going to be able to create a USB Windows installer. Ever.

MacBooks with optical drives MUST install Windows from the optical drive.
    It's in Apple's firmware and there's no way around it (while still using Bootcamp).

6. s2smooth4u thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect Thanks!