BootCamp Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spadz93, Jan 3, 2017.

1. spadz93 macrumors member

Morning all,

I'm trying to run Bootcamp with Windows 10 on my 2012 macbook pro (OS X 10.10.5). Normally this would be a remotely easy task, but there's a twist: my disc drive failed me, and instead of replacing it I opted to use an opti-bay for a second hard drive. Since my macbook is still considered a model with a disc drive as far as OS X is concerned, it won't allow me to install Windows 10 from an image file/usb drive/external disc drive (LG brand). I tried using some third party apps on my girlfriend's macbook (same model as mine), and it ended up wiping out her machine (thank god for backups). Does anyone have any tips?

2. p8blr macrumors newbie

p8blr

Try only using the Boot Camp assistant to download the Windows support software (drivers) to a fat flash drive. Create the partition you need in Disk Utility (format as fat and rename so it's easy to find during windows install). And assuming you have access to a PC, download Windows 10 and create a bootable flash drive. You should be able to boot to the flash drive while holding down the option key during startup. Install Windows (find that partition you create earlier and reformat) and then install the support software you downloaded earlier.

Download Windows:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Just a thought anyway, and if you're careful to name your windows partition clearly and not to accidentally choose the wrong partition while setting up windows, then the second-worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and you can re-claim that space in MacOS with Disk Utility.

I hope this helps.

3. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

I feel like the EFI on the macbook decides "hey I'm supposed to have a disk drive, let's go look for it" and completely ignores USB boot options

4. p8blr macrumors newbie

p8blr

Ok that specifically you shouldn't have issues with. I know for sure you can boot from usb, I recall doing that on my old non-retina 13" MacBook Pro. But whether or not the Windows installer works is a different question ;)

5. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'll try out using the win10 media creation tool to see if it nets me any benefits