Bootcamp Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willkemp, Mar 25, 2008.

1. willkemp macrumors newbie

BOOTCAMP HELP

I recently just tried to set up a windows partition using boot camp but I messed up the installation and only just managed to get back to my mac volume which thankfully had no files erased from it.

However I had a new volume that appeared called disk0s1 which must have been created when i did the installation wrong...

when i go to boot camp again i get the message

"The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

i realise that this message must be due to the other volume i have so i want to know HOW TO DELETE THE VOLUME????

so i can redo the boot camp... i have tried using disk utility with no success :confused::(

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No need to use the Boot Camp utility. Just boot off your Windows installation CD and install to that new partition (NOT your larger Mac partition).

Where's the problem? :confused:

3. willkemp thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You could try using Disk Utility in Mac OS X to format that "disk0s1" by erasing it, and choosing FAT32 (=DOS Format).

Then you can insert your Windows CD, and boot from it by pressing the "C" key while booting, and do the rest of the Windows setup.

The Boot Camp assistant is not necessary.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If the terms being used in this thread are confusing you already willkemp, I can't see how you'll get through a Windows installation without messing something up. Do you have a friend who's tech savvy who might help you along? :eek:

6. willkemp thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mess it up myself but my mac just crashed half way through the process, probably due to having no battery power and when i got back onto the mac partition i just had this empty volume.

I tried booting the windows cd to this partition but i get nothing.

It says it is formated as MS-DOS (FAT16) and 200MB in size

any suggestions?